What's new

17" or 18" - The oldskool question

P

Pazz

I'm finding choosing a set of wheels one of the hardest things to do for an S15.

I keep thinking 17"s would be better because:

- Cheaper tyres/wheels in first place
- Less chance of curbage

However 18"s would be better because:

- Looks better on bigger cars

I stay awake at night pondering which size. My neighbours 14a had 17"s for the ride comfort and they didnt really look very big. I blamed this on 235/45 profile tyres though that he had on.

I was fixed on 18's, but then I see pics like this I go back to thinking about 17"s:

Sorry have not yet found an S15 with Enkei GTC01's. Tyres are 235/40/17.

But then again the MX5/Miata is a small car....ARGHHHH :furious: :wack: :annoyed:

Last edited:
S

sillbeers15

HeL1x,

In my opinion, the suitable wheel size go hand in hand with the external dimension of the car for visual sensation reasons.

The 17" siits Miata well, 18" suits S15 and 20" suits R35.

Ah, almost forgot...for something big like my Murano, I have installed a set of 22"s on it.

G

gunner93

Practical wise 17" is preferred especially if its a daily drive. The condition of roads in your area will be the main decision whether you go for 17s" or 18s".

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
18" look better on a S15.
But that's about it.
17" is cheaper to run and comfier.

It's a hard decision. I went with 18" :)

A

auxoura

I would love to put 18" however Malaysian road, and especially where I work is pothole hell.

There was a pothole once so huge that after it rained it flood the hole and the driver of the car went in and almost drowned...

K

kazama

18s man, they look the best for an s15.

auxoura, I'll be running 19s soon on Malaysian roads. hahaha.

Reaction score
I run 18's on mine and with a good offset they fill the guards nicely.

I use a set of 17's for track as they run better and my choices of tyres are greater:)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I will be buying a set of 19's soon. I just have to sell a couple more toys.

P

Pazz

Thanks for comments, think I may go for 18"s then.

What do you think?

18x8 ET40 - 225/40
18x9 ET40 - 245/40

or

18x8 ET40 all round on 225/40 (Enkei Recommended fitment for S15)

I don't really want to have to roll arches :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had

17x8 ET36 i needed a 5mm spacer on the front to clear my coilovers
17x9 ET38

Didnt need the arches rolling... have you got coilovers or standard shocks??

P

Pazz

Standard shocks at the moment, but gonna will be getting some coilovers before summer. I hear Apex Performance ones are pretty good for clearance.

What tyres were on the front and rears?

Reaction score
+ 40 on the front you will need to use a 5mm spacer, and depending how low the back is you will probably need to roll the guards with 245's on:)

Reaction score
Yeah your gunna need some camber adjusment if you dont want your arches rolling to tilt the wheels in!

Have you considered getting the coilovers before the wheels???

I'll check the tyre sizes later... got them on the car again till i can put some rubber on the new ones...

And as Auss15 said... your gunna need spacer with +40 especially with coilovers!!!

P

Pazz

But are you both talking about if i go for the staggered set of 8" front 9" rear?

If I go 8" all round which is enkei's recomended fitment I would of thought the backs would be fine. Just the fronts which I think may need 215's and a 5mm spacer.

Reaction score
Yeah you only need a spacer on the front... the rears you can go for 10" wide on +40 offset!
Its only the fronts you get problems... so an 8" +40 would definatly need a spacer... what other offsets do they do in the 8" ???

P

Pazz

+40 or +45 lol and theres nothing in 17" which would help me fit a staggered rim size.

But I dont want any crazy neg camber. So thought it would be best tp stay with 8" on rear so can go low without having to roll arches or camber the wheel in? Or is 8" rear just weak?

Reaction score
Nah its not weak? all to personal preference and how you like it to drive... bigger will help keep the car straight if you upgrade the power... You wouldnt need silly negative camber especially if you get a low ofset around +20 on a 9" wouldnt think youd need any neg then!

Thought about different wheels???

P

Pazz

+20? I would of thought lower the offset the more neg camber I'd need to try and fit the rim under the arch.

Reason I liked the GTC01's is because I can get them pretty cheap, cheaper than direct from Japan via perfectrun/nengun etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah you'd need abit of neg to squeeze them under... but u'll be suprised how much room you do have...
If you do get coilovers and lower it u'l need camber adjustment arms to bring it back to standard anyway... its all expense!
I did my coilovers and adjustment arms before i got the wheels... its always a shame to see a nice car on nice rims but enough room under the arches to move a small family into!