What's new

advice needed, could it be afm

Z

zimmi

im hoping someone can help, i have recently had my power fc put back in my car (had a problem with it so the auto elec took it out and sent it off to be repaired however they wont tell me what the problem was) anyways the car is back up and running but when i first got it back it would stall when the revs dropped i.e pulling up to the lights, but i turned the idle up a bit and that has since stopped but now occasionaly it blows smoke when its idling, and sometimes threatens to stall for a second when i first start it, could this all be symptoms of the afm ?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Sounds like its overfuelling at low revs. The AFM is one thing which could cause this. Do you have a BOV? A misadjusted BOV can also do this.

Z

zimmi

thanks for the quick reply nicely, yea i do have a BOV, how does a BOV become misadjusted ? is it possible i could have a leak in the intake somewhere ?

Reaction score
Hello Zimmi,

Sorry to hear about your trouble but speaking from experience, and if it makes u feel any better, this is typical of the sr20det engine when the ecu is replaced. I had a similar problem and the culprit was indeed the afm. But i also took the liberty of resetting my ecu by disconnecting the tps, revving her three or more times in succession above the 3000rpm mark (all loads off) and using a timing light getting her back to 17btdc. Mine was at 6 when i reinstalled my ecu. Now works just fine.

As for the BOV, to the best of my knowledge it makes no diff, but if its an atmosphere vent type then only misfires are common. However just check your vaccuum hoses that they are tight.

Cheers mate.