What's new

WTB: After a cat as the mot coming up soon

Reaction score
As per the title after a catalitic converter to fit s15 of course with the internals intact.

Alan

S

S15 SILVIA

Are some of you boys still paying £405 tax? Got a car coming at the mo, and Mike from torque has promised me it will cost around the £200 mark for tax?!
Also is there anyway a silvia could pass an mot emissions test without a cat fitted?
Anyone put their car through an mot test without a cat?

Reaction score
My car passed its mot with out a cat! There was a big discussion on it but there is no data for the car on the emissions machine, which means if the car is used before 2002 (i think it was 2002) then all it needs is a standard test (non cat test).

I got my car from torque and I pay £405 :(

Reaction score
Country
I only pay around £200ish tax. Whatever it is for the over 1549cc tax bracket, deffo not £405.
I can't remember whether mine was tested for a cat or not when it was MOT'ed last month. I thought after 1997, even if there was no data, it still had to meet a basic cat test.

sx-si

Reaction score
there are still emissions that you need to pass even without a cat (should be fine unless its running like a bag of spanners)
as for the tax thing its to do with import documents and also when it was registered here, if it has a 0 (i think) on the export document its like 200 if its not said then it goes in the high bracket
also if a car was imported before july 2002 then it was ok but after then it gets expencive (most of my dates and numbers are proablly wrong but im sure its close)

personally say if i put a cat in then had it passed they proablly woundnt make my tax any cheaper so **** em

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I dnt think they can be sure you won't pay £405.

Technically we should all be paying £405 because you car is taxed on the year it was firsted registered in the uk which would be 2010 for you.

Some people are lucky and have been charged the lesser £200 rate at the fault of the dvla.

It's a tax lottery, one benefit of buying one in the uk already paying only £200.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I thought they were re-doing it so you that are payong £400 would have it reduced to something like £235..?

As for the cat.. it should be the same fast-idle test they do with pre 1993 cars. Should be fine but from experience, if your exhaust is blowing along the system one of the figures will read sky high :)

S

S15 SILVIA

Well Mike at Torque has Told me it will def be the £2** tax on mine! Says there was a cock up with the origional taxing, and my car will be at the lower rate now!
Fingers crossed!!!!!
Hopefully get it through a mot with decat when the time comes.
Also, off topic,
If I fitted an uprated manifold, turbo elbow, downpipe, decat, and full system, would I need any other mods other than a remap for the car to run sweet and safe?
Mike

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I would have thought you'd be ok without a remap with just an exhaust system, wait until you have a few more mods to save remapping twice.

If you want to get a remap, an air filter, boost controller and fuel pump would benefit you greatly beforehand :)

Reaction score
Country
I believe the new IVA importing laws means that all imports fro April last year dont need emissions data available so cant be taxed in the current emission banding.

Yes this is unfair for everyone that paid £1000 for a SVA, registered their car correctly/legally then to be shafted for £405 tax. Its supposed to be changed come april to £245 for us that have a car built before 2006 but registered after and still in the tax banding BUT i wont be suprised if we get shafted again.

Reaction score
I believe the new IVA importing laws means that all imports fro April last year dont need emissions data available so cant be taxed in the current emission banding.

Yes this is unfair for everyone that paid £1000 for a SVA, registered their car correctly/legally then to be shafted for £405 tax. Its supposed to be changed come april to £245 for us that have a car built before 2006 but registered after and still in the tax banding BUT i wont be suprised if we get shafted again.
That would be amazing!! :D Where did you find all this out from?

Would be good to find out for deffinate, guess we'll see when April comes!!

Jay

Reaction score
i had a big arguement with dvla when i taxed my spec r in febuary for the first time. i was told that as the car was registered as new on the log book in january 2001 in japan that it would be eligible for the low rate of tax (bout 130 bucks or so) but as the car was registered in the uk for the first time in early 2008, THAT is the date the dvla take into account when judging the tax banding. as a result? £405pa...

does this mean that from april i will be in the £245 band?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
So Has anyone actually passed an mot with their 15 running decat?

Got my mot tomorrow morning, not sure if I should get up and put the cat back on before?