What's new

ah no!!! any idea?

Reaction score
hey guys quick question seeing if anyone has any ideas.. my car started making a weird sort of rumble around 3000rpm... but only seems to do it when its decelerating past 3000 till about 2800.... sounds slightly like an exhaust leak.... got no idea where to look anyone heard this before?? turbo spool still sounds fine... engine seems to run well still just the noise really doesn't sound good. not sure if its exhaust or engine so i don't know who i should take it to and don't really want to fork out a few hundered dollars just for them to say its not the engine take it to a exhaust shop or something like that...

:'(

Reaction score
seems to be both really... i just had another look and checked all my piping, seems to settled down now (weird) but i have to go for a short drive tonight so i'll have another listen... i did however notice alot of heat coming out around my manifold but not sure if its more then normal or not... hopefully its just a crack in the manifold or something like that, i have an aftermarket one waiting to be put on. so any ideas?

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
a would think if it was a cracked manifold you would be loosing boost on the turbo but it could be as easy and the heat sheild rattling dude open the bonnet and use the throttle body to accelerate through the revs and see if you can hear anything

Reaction score
ok it hasn't settled down, turns out it doesn't matter if its hot or cold, its worse under load but also can hear it when free reving. i let me mate listen this arvo he seems to think it could be an exhaust rattle... maybe somethings come loose?? going to look at changing my manifold over this weekend so i'll check the gasket, cheers mate. not sure if i'm loosing boost or not... feels ok still, aswell i had noticed at lot of heat which i'm not sure is more then normal around the manifold, that and it sounding like its coming from the manifold makes me think its near there... however i did have my cold pipe off on the weekend and had a bov fitted for about 30 min but as soon as i drove up the road it stalled cause the bov wasn't shutting properly so i had to pull it all back out and block everything back off... all the hoses were connected properly and i've checked for leaks but can't find any. just really confused and concerned.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Get a large bore silicone vacuum tube and start listening for leaks around mani and tubby gasket areas. Works a treat... you'll clearly hear a 'bap bap bap' sound if there's an area leaking ;)

Reaction score
Get a large bore silicone vacuum tube and start listening for leaks around mani and tubby gasket areas. Works a treat... you'll clearly hear a 'bap bap bap' sound if there's an area leaking ;)

could you explain how to do this and what exactly it is? cheers

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Sure - get some larger diametre silicone vacuum hose/pipe (say +10mm internal bore)... example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/13mm-BLUE-SIL...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3c9fb50eab

1 metre is plenty.

Then when you have this, simply put one end into ear and the other using hands when car is idling, move the open end around manifold area, gaskets etc. Where there is a leak you will definitely heard a 'flapping/blapping' type of sound. Where there is no leak you won't really hear anything except a humming noise :)

Reaction score
cool.. cheers thats a neat little trick..... so as it turns out it could be one of a few things.... went and bushed all the holes around my intercoolerpiping as it needed to be done, threw it up on a hoist and checked for rattling... and sprayed the belts and pulley's.
so the sound is gone...

which means it could have been the intercooler pipe rubbing on the frame. could be my hotdog which had a slight rattle, the knocking could have moved it back into the right spot lol, or it was something to do with a belt....
lol but getting crc onto the fanbelt isn't fun cause now it squels.. time to sort yet another annoying sound out.