What's new

apexi powerfc vs d-jetro

Reaction score
Ok im familiar with the normal power fc but what i would like to know is whats the whole story with the d-jetro. I know it replaces the maf but how easy are the extra sensors to fit, and what exacltly to you get in the kit. Is anyone running one?

Reaction score
it would just be a case of drilling the exhaust/downpipe/elbow (where ever needed), weld on a nut for the MAP sensor to bolt too, then bolt it in... map it, and away! :D

P

Paul2x

No need to tap the exhuast.

I'm running it on my car and love it . It's the 6th Power FC i've ran on one of my cars. I've ran both El-jetro and D-jetro.

On my 15 i'm running D-jetro.

Very easy to install. All u need to tap is your intake manifold for "air intake temp"

YOu then take the wires from the air intake sensor and splice them into your engine harness . but it comes will all the nessary connectors and clips. It's pretty stright foward.

The other sensor you splice into a boost source off your boost guage or something.

and your done.

Now no AFM to worry about and tuning options are endless.

Defently recommend

:thumbs:

Reaction score
ahh it's intake that's tapped not exhaust.... my bad! :)

def' sounds awesome... but for the "average" car... are they really worth the extra cost over the likes of a Jez custom chip???

P

Paul2x

well....rom-tunes are good but they have limits that won't be an issues w/ a full stand alone.

also if you havn't already you'll need a new AFM, as well as a intake that will fit your new AFM.

so if you already have an intake, take thoes exta costs into consideration.

but i still do believe you can pull more hp w/ a stand alone vs rom-tune give you have someone tuing it that knows their stuff.

I also like have the Apex' commander in my car as well, b/c it can show vital info like accurate water temp and Knock sensor.

For an average car all units will work fine...just different features and tuning capilities that set each-other apart.

Lost of "average" cars here in states run HKS V-pro. Quite pricey for a mild tuned car imo but they run great...if not better than other cars w/ same mods and different EMS's

I guess most importaunt is what your plans for your car is.

Rom-tune is cleaner , and cheaper but u can pull more hp w/ stand alone.

I look at Power FC as a nice medium between rom-tunes and something like V-Pro

whats more important to u?

Last edited:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Yes you need a large AFM, but only if you looking to run more power. To fit it you dont NEED differnt intake pipework, My Z32 AFM is currently fitted with the stock trunk.

For me, ?600 for the power FC, and another ?400 to map it is crazy. I dont plan to do anything more performance wise with the car, so ?350 for a chip and road map specific to my car is perfect - Although the fue costs on the 1500 miles round trip push it up a bit, but still short of the Power FC.

If you plan to make changes, and you know of someone who can map the PFC well, then get one of those. However if you get a Jez chip, and can get to him easily for tweaks, then it doesnt really matter.

G

gunner93

Ok im familiar with the normal power fc but what i would like to know is whats the whole story with the d-jetro.
Guys, Is there any difference, performance wise running with the d-jetro vs without? I am considering PFC vs Dastek Unichip.

P

Paul2x

Guys, Is there any difference, performance wise running with the d-jetro vs without? I am considering PFC vs Dastek Unichip.
D-jetro = without AFM
EL-jetro = with AFM

In terms of performance my tuner told me he can squeez a bit more hp out of the car with the AFM gone so i pulled it and went D-jetro.

If you keep the AFM, it's your #1 limiting spot...granted the Z32 AFM flows plenty and their are several people running it's another vairable in the equation.

But if you don't plan on ever up-grading to a larger turbo EL-jetro sound's like the choice for you.

I'm running D-jetro and my car idles like stock and runs great/ smooth with good gas milage etc. Plus when i go with a larger turbo i know i'll have no issues in the future.

I had an El-jetro version on my GTR, worked great for seveal years but then when i finally wanted some big HP i had to switch it out for a different unit that eliminted my AFM's so to avoid buying two units like i did before, I went D-jetro right away w/ my S15.

If you plan on running a larger top mount set-up in the future. D-jetro will save you the hassel of having so switch in the future b/c your maxing out your AFM.

Last edited:
S

sillbeers15

PowerFC works perfectly with stock and mildly upgraded turbos like the GT-RS.

Some users of PowerFC running big turbos encounter what is called the "powerFC syndrome". The rev fluctures up and down at idle non stop and in some cases causes the engine to stall.

With D-Jetro, this problem does not exist as no AFM is necessary. The problem is that inconsistant AFM reading caused by turbo back flow from big turbines will send changing load signal to the powerFC unit at idle.

One innovative solution I saw in Option magazine is to mount the AFM before throttle body to avoid this problem.

However, AFM (airflow meter) is most accurate in measuring the incoming air volume. The MAP (mass air pressure) measures the mass of air via pressure measurement. So both are used to determine the load to the engine, volume of air is directly propostional to engine load while mass of air requires interpolation calculations to determine engine load.

G

gunner93

Thanks Paul,

Sill,

Do you know of any good ppl around or across the causeway that knows how to reflash stock ECU? :eek:

S

sillbeers15

Hi Gunner93,

Unfortunately there is no such guy in Singapore.

I believe if re-ROM properly, it will be a good alternative.

Just look at Taniguchi's S15...everystuff HKS since he is the top HKS drift driver. I don't believe HKS will not provide him with F-Con pro free if he so desires. His personal street tuned S15 is re-romed, Z32AFM, GT-RS, HKS stage 1 cams with stock bottom end.

Reaction score
Country
^^ Well f-con vpro for a mildly modded engine is slight overkill

gunner93,

Another alternative is e-manage. plug and play and has base maps unlike pfc

G

gunner93

^^ Well f-con vpro for a mildly modded engine is slight overkill

gunner93,

Another alternative is e-manage. plug and play and has base maps unlike pfc
Thanks Ich,

Over here, e-manage ultimate and Unichip is similar in price. I am not a super HP chaser. Stage 1 mod is all there is for my S15 for the time being. So I am torn between PFC and the piggys. :confused:

P

Paul2x

I'd stay away from the E-manage,

A good rom-tune or PFC seems the best for what your looking for.

At the end of the day. If you go w/ the power FC you'll never say, "i should have gotten the rom-tune" where as you might say that after the rom-tune , once your ready to make changes to your set-up.

S

sillbeers15

PowerFC and F-Con Pro are stand alone ECU replacements.

E-Manage and F-con IS are only piggyback computers that alters the signal of fuel and spark from signals going into the stock ECU. Adjustment range is rather limited.

PowerFC is car model specific, base map is supplied, all electrical hardness is attached, just plug and play.....car starts and drive....install mods such as injectors upgrade, AFM upgrade, just adjust through commander. Get the car tuned after all mods installed. No hassle, own time and own target to get things done and choose your tunner.

For other ECUs, such as F-Con Pro is generic hardware regardless of car model....so need to get wiring hardness then Tunner has to set base parameters and get car started (tuning program is controlled by authorized HKS agents in Japanese software GUI)...all mods need to be installed together otherwise several tunnings are required unless $$$ is abundant and time is abundant as well.

Reaction score
Country
I'd stay away from the E-manage,
Any particular reasons?

Blue is ok in my books but ultimate is a different story

Not sure bout you guys but down under, some people are switching to emanage from pfc due to cold start problems with pfc. Spot on with emanage :)