What's new

Brake Fluid change

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Since were currently covering all things Brake (Rear brake thread, Brake Pad thread), i thought i ask a question re brake fluid, and the changing there-of.

I currently have Castrol super responce DOT.4 fluid in the car, but have just ordered up some Motul RBF600 after hearing it recomended from a few places.

So my question is, can the two be mixed? If not, how do you change from one to the other? As i read that letting all fluids out can damage the BMC seals?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Remove fluid from the reservoir so that there is just enough over the outlets that no air will pass through. Fill and bleed. You'll see the difference in fluid when it makes it through.

The quickest and easiest way is to go to a friendly garage with a decent brake bleeder. I got Juz (SXOC) to do it at his garage. Took about 15 minutes to replace the entire system. And that was making sure the new stuff was through by bleeding a lot of excess.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Dont really trust my local place with the S15. I'm also planing to change the fluid and changing brake lines etc, so would prefer to do it myself.

I have changed fluids since having the car, but the old fluid sits on the top of the new stuff, there is still some of the old in there, like oil on water style.

A

Ansch

I use a syringe with a rubber tube and suck all the old fluid out of the reservor and top it up with the new stuff. Then gravity bleed each of the calipers until you see the colour change in the fluid.

S

s13.5guy

I use a syringe with a rubber tube and suck all the old fluid out of the reservor and top it up with the new stuff. Then gravity bleed each of the calipers until you see the colour change in the fluid.
whoa...

G

gunner93

Thats what I did too although gravity bleed is slow and just abit worried I'd risk trap air in the calipers. :p