What's new

Brake issue

A

alexfalk

My friend has an issue with his brakes that we can´t manage to sort out. He changed the fluid lines, removed the calipers and drained the system. Now when we bleed the brakes there is no air coming out. When we drive the car and press down the brake pedal hard the rear wheels lock up and the ABS does not allways kick in and acts up after you released the pedal
If we pump the pedal all four wheels lock up and the ABS does not kick in.

Does anybody have any idea? We have been bleeding the brakes for what feels like an eternity and it doesn´t improve.:confused:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Is the brake setup standard? Have the front callipers ever been removed/changed? If not, a seal may have gone in the master cylinder.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I think I've spoken to this guy about this and couldn't think af anything wrong. The master cylinder is supposed to be good.

You could try to pull the ABS fuse or all the connectors to the ABS box under the hood and see if it fixes the problem. The ABS light will go on and ABS will not work. But the car should feel normal.
If that won't work the problem probobly isn't ABS related.

A

alexfalk

All calipers have been removed to get painted. But apart from that and braided hoses it´s standard. My first thought was that the master cylinder was leaking. But the issue remains after we renovated it.
We tried to disconnect the ABS. But that did not change anything apart from that the ABS light is on all the time.

My thought is that because he drained the system there is airpockets in the ABS unit. But We can´t get it sorted.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Hopefully this is a stupid question. Were the callipers refitted with the bleed nipples on the bottom half?

A

alexfalk

:DYes we have double checked that before posting so we did not make an ass out of our selves.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
was the calipers removed when it got painted? No accidental spray on the calipers?

Probobly not, but I'm running out of ideas.
Do you know anyone in your vicinity who has a Nissan conzult?
Could check for fault codes from the ECU and maybe something shows up.

A

alexfalk

Nope unfortunetly not.

I have a consult. Will take it out to him and try. But I doubt it will help us.

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Was it just the lines changed from the calipers? I'm no brake expert but have sucessfully installed a big brake upgrade and its working fine so forgive my next question for sounding stupid. Not sure what the box is called with all the lines screwed into it (might be the abs?), anyhow were any of these changed and if so were they put back in the right place as I think this helps with brake balance? Just a guess.

I also didnt understand your answer to nicelys question about the nipple being at the top, I assume you mean they are? When I bled my system Ifound that half a turn of the nipple was still restrictive so I turned it more so the fluid flowed quicker. I also had the car running and only pressed the pedal with my hand until resistance and did this to each corner starting with the furthest from the master cylinder (Nearside Rear, Farside Rear, Nearside Front and Farside Front).

Hope that helps, Keith

Last edited: