What's new

Brake upgrade question

Reaction score
Country
Just a quick one.

My mate's gonna sell me his R32's front rotors and callipers, which I believe is a good bolt-on upgrade, but my rears are pretty shot too. I Don't want to go to the hassle of swapping over skyline rears because of all the handbrake rigmarole so would brand new oem spec S rears and R32 fronts be ok for driving? I.e. Safe? Just worried about the fronts being too 'stoppy' compared to the rear

Daveizz

Reaction score
Country
I've been told the R32GTR brakes are pretty sh*t, they can't handle too much hp, will give up too soon and get pretty hot when using them often.
The best way for a minimum upgrade is getting yourself a R33GTR braking system, also a bolt on upgrade.

Reaction score
Country
The set up you have mentioned will work ok although the fronts aren't a massive upgrade imo. The standard rear calipers on these are shocking even when working properly. If you really want to keep them check that the pistons are moving as they should and that the sliders are free :)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
i have z32/r33GTs/R34 GTT front and rear calipers i swapped the rear handbrakes was an easy job and it increased my stopping power tenfold. well worth it!!!

Reaction score
Country
The problem is finding decent parts. I'm not going for max hp, just want my little spec s to stop better since it had a det conversion

Reaction score
Country
i agree with tooley the hand brake cable swap is not that hard mate, you just remove your S15 ones and hook up you Skyline ones, all you have to do then is adjust the skylines drum brake and the S15 handbrake cable bolt (10mm in the handle) to get it right, its only a few hours work and is not hard at all, is really is a plug and play option, only possible issue would be that people cut the skylines rubber brake hose, which is where i brought some skyline braided brake lines and problem solved

This is a bolt on package just like what i brought
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/brakes/auction-682604015.htm

Reaction score
Country
Oh wow I don't know how I missed that auction. I'm worried about rotors not being up to scratch though. That's my main concern

Reaction score
Have you tried better pads, TBH if you are just running around the streets the stock calipers with decent pads and slotted rotors stop very well....It's not a heavy car. I only upgraded to 33 GTR Brembos because I do track days, but I ran the stock setup for a couple of years

Reaction score
Country
Have you tried better pads, TBH if you are just running around the streets the stock calipers with decent pads and slotted rotors stop very well....It's not a heavy car. I only upgraded to 33 GTR Brembos because I do track days, but I ran the stock setup for a couple of years
The rotors are completely shot. They have massive grooves in them, hence the upgrade. If I'm going to replace them, I may as well make them better. I do want to do track days eventually

Reaction score
Country
i brought a package off osaka imports exact as this on and it had original pads in it that were half worn, the calipers were in mint condition and the disks were only .3mm less the original tolerance, but i still had them surfaced just to ensure they were even and not bent in anyway..... they cam up mint and work great

Reaction score
Country
Ended up getting the auction spoonman suggested. That's my rears sorted, now I just need the fronts off my mate and I'll be stopping like nobody's business.

Next question though, can the abs be bled? Don't want to ruin it when I put new lines on and everything

Reaction score
Country
its just a solenoid...... when the car is off its going to be open and not affect anything.
so yes you just bleed as normal, rear left, rear right, front left, front right,

also if you are running a spec s brake master cylinder and booster i have a Spec r bm50 & booster if your interested which will work perfectly fine with 2pot rears

Reaction score
Country
by the way, ensure you get brake lines that fit, clear wheels and all that, skylines ones will def clear (the braided ones) but s15 ones wont

Reaction score
Country
Sweet so no problems if the brake fluid runs dry before I refill it and start bleeding?

Yea I was planning on getting gtr lines. How much difference will a bigger master cylinder make?

Reaction score
Country
if the fluid tank runs dry you will just have to top it back up again and bleed the car all over (assuming you have bleed it once), its not the end of the world if you suck air in from the master cylinder it just takes longer but we are only talking 5mins longer... you dont have to bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it either, yes its more correct to do that but its a pain in the arse to install a master with it dripping brake fluid all over the place,,,

a larger master cylinder will will push a larger amount of fluid and therefore apply alot more pressure to the calipers, the booster will enhance the amount of pressure you apply, be careful on which master cylinder you use and the different spring and piston lengths inside it are going to determine brake bias