What's new

Cam chain and tensioner, oil + water pump

T

Toby

I understand these are chain driven..

I've wayded through the Servie book but canlt find what im after.

When do Nissan reccomend the Cam chain, or Tensioner needs changed? and the water pump and oil pump?

Kind Regards
Toby.

T

Toby

Noone?

Surely all you guys getting to or past the 60k mark must be starting to think about this?

I know a belt engine tends to need a new belt at 60k or 6 years but have no experience with the chain?

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
dont quote me but i was under the impression that the main chain didnt require changing just an inspection during the service intervals looking for damage. in theory the chain shouldn't require changing unlike the newer timing belts found on most cars since they dont wear out as fast.

I'll have a read again through the service book later and see if i can confirm this

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
Timing Chain's are NOT like Timing Belt's they should last the cars life time though when the chain rattels etc it may require changing, I have just ordered a full kit (not inculding the vvt sproket) from Nissan was about £200 odd planning on doing it when I change my cams. :thumbs:

T

Toby

Thanks for the reply gents!

I have gathered the Chain won't or shouldn't need doing unless it gets noisey, but what about the chain tensioner, or water pump?

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
I orderd a tensioner for the chain might aswell do it when its off as i dont realy fancey timing it up again if the tensioner ends up going its not the dear if i remember right anyway

Reaction score
roughly 100k i believe.

chains can stretch, have seen one before the length of a complete link longer!!!!!

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Sorry to jump in on someone elses post but I'm a little confused, well more than normal! Some times on cold start I get a light rattle which goes after 15 secs or so but I then get intermittent louder noise when its fully warmed and only on idle. I read somewhere else that theres a possibility of vvt failing and to check you can unplug something. Anyone know what it is and where? Also what performance effects would it cause?

Personally I think its a tensioner but if I can rule out vvt then I know to narrow it down - unless anyone thinks it could be something else. The car drives perfectly through the revs.

Thanks, K

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The noise on startup is most likely the vvt sprocket IIRC. Not sure how to diagnose as I've never suffered from it but I'm sure someone will be able to help with that.