What's new

car stereo

R

Russ

hey all

been installing a new headunit, but few problems, 1st my radio receives no stations, its connected to the car arial cable but i have read its got a built in tuner, so do i not need it connected to the car?

secondly it has tv function but again recieving no stations, i currently have the antenna's on the top of car inbetween roof and liner, and have the acc wired with the headunit wire so its just one connection, same with the ground wire, this ok? or need be seperate connections?

cheers

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
if your still having problems it would be helpfully to post the make/model of the radio so that the wiring schematics can be seen for that unit by other members. Did you get the iso adapters aswell that were mentioned in a previous thread ?

Reaction score
Country
To make an aftermarket headunits radio work on an S15, you need to make sure you've got a frequency converter (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Parts-Accessories-/6028/i.html?_nkw=car+radio+frequency+converter) and make sure thats got power to it. Without power your stereo will work, but its reception will be horrific. with power, it'll all be good.

If you're earthing something, it doesnt matter if you earth with other connections, it all goes to the same place, and if anything, thats a better connection if one exists already.

An antenna will work better if it's earthed too, so you could even try running an earth cable from your antenna to an earth in the roof, then that might improve reception too. Usually this works better with lower frequencies, however might help improve your reception. And note, JUST an earth. It does NOT need additional power!
(I work in communications with a large knowledge of antennas and propagation haha) ;)

I'm not sure what frequency commercial TV uses though, if it says on the box, then I may be able to assist more. :)

R

Russ

i have managed get radio working, i was only plugging in the ariel lead, but there was another one also i had to attach to the blue cable on new unit, since then radio has been fine..

i brought an eonon g1310 unit, didnt want to pay loads again on expensive unit. but this one came with gps, dvd, and other options including tv, which im now having the issue with not picking up any channels, communicating with eonon but not much help atm. i have the two antenna's running up the a pillars and held between the roof and liner, both are powered and grounded but dont pick up anything :( awaiting reply from the tech department now. everything else is fine and dandy.

Reaction score
Country
If you've got any normal coaxial cable kicking about, try connecting your house antenna to your car stereo and see what happens. that'l let you diagnose if its the aerial or the headunit. :)