What's new

car stools when idle

M

m4rk181983

im having a slight problem when idle
when i start the car its fine but after when i rev it high the whole car just cuts of
the car still drives fine but its when i stop the car stools when it reaches the low revs
any advice???
thanks
mark

Reaction score
hahaha great response...

But im having the same problem with my car... im running an atmospheric bov so im assuming i can tighten up the bov screw. I would like to hear how other people have solved this issue though.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It may help if it's dirty. Did the car start doing it all of a sudden or is it after fitting a new part etc?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Humm, not too sure then mate. TBH it doesn't sound like a dirty AFM would cause the problems you described.

M

m4rk181983

I'm gonna take it to Horsham in a few days so hopefully they can sort it out

Jay

Reaction score
yes i would say its the bov if its atmospheric. i had same prob and tightening helped. the 2 worst offenders for this i have heard are the hks ssqv and the blitz (which i have)

M

m4rk181983

ive got the blitz. will it be ok if u could show me a picture of where to tighten it. im useless on mechanical work

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Just found this after a quick google search..

Q: I installed a blow off valve, it sounds really cool but my car stalls when I let off. Why?
A: First of all, the reason this is happening is because the Air Flow Meter on our cars measures
the air coming in through the flapper door. It senses this air and adjusts the fuel mixture
accordingly. When you let big rush of air out of the intake system, you are letting out a
bunch of air that was just measured. The fueling will still dump the fuel associated with
that air and cause an over rich condition. This will cause your car to stall momentarily or
in some cases actually turn off. Once the BOV has closed and the intake system will return
to it's normal state and work again.

To fix this, you need to adjust your BOV. Most BOVs have a screw or nut to adjust the
tension. You can turn the screw/nut to the right and increase the tension. Do this several
times with a test drive in between. If your BOV stops letting out the pressure, you have
adjusted it too tight. You will then need to start adjusting soft again. You must keep
playing with this adjustment until you get it just right. A good adjustment will allow the
BOV to release pressure after slight boost, and not stall afterwards. It is not necessary for
the BOV to release pressure when you rev the car.