What's new

Carbon Canister

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need to source one of these as apparently the one fitted to my car is for a n/a and I have a turbo....does anyone know whether other models i.e. 14/a are compatible?

Thanks

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm sure this really won't matter as a lot of us S15 owners have simply ripped our carbon canisters out (well and truly binned haha) and just made sure the hard pipes which used to run in and out of the cannister are connected by a single pipe.

Also on the front of the engine bay one of the pipes runs to a harness (solenoid of some sort) and I broke this when fitting new rad... Ni$$an dealer wanted £120+ so I thought sod that (!!) and took it all out :D

Reaction score
Just take the carbon canister out and bin it:

Block off all the rubber vacuum hoses going to it.
Join together the two metal hoses that you are left with.
Bin the solenoid that's on the left rad bracket.

But if you still need a carbon canister, I have one.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, the guy that is looking at my car atm suggested that I get the correct one (he's a tuner), I will go back to him first and check out why he wants to keep it.....Andeep - if I do need it, how much do you want for it?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, the guy that is looking at my car atm suggested that I get the correct one (he's a tuner), I will go back to him first and check out why he wants to keep it.....Andeep - if I do need it, how much do you want for it?

Thanks again
PM'd

T

Toby

If this is removed, would it not be better to have a small breaker on the pipe going to it, rather than blocking it off?

Reaction score
Sorry i mean Breather.
The vacuum lines will need to be blocked completely, if they are not you will get a boost leak.

You may be thinking of a catch can, which is an after market part which catches the excess oil vapour from the engine instead of letting it be routed back into the intake. The carbon canister comes with these cars and is just emissions related rubbish which serve no real purpose.

T

Toby

Nope not thinking of a catch can.

Didn't realise boost went through the cansiter though, just assumed it was to collect carbon build up, and that blacking it off would be bad for the engine.

Glad you told me thi though, I'm half way through fitting a apex alloy rad, and most probably going to remove the carbon canister at the same time :)