What's new

Change diff oil. How the fark do I remove the godamn nut.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Tried to change diff oil a couple of months ago, but I couldn't get the godamn nut off.
I think it's sealed with loc-tite.

Is there any special trick to this?
Been to lazy to try again, But I have brand new diff oil just waiting in the garage. So might give it another shot.

Reaction score
hey, my S15 owners manual makes no mention from memory of changing the Diff oil until something like 100k's - true?

My car has done 45k's so the gearbox and Diff oil are still original. I wouldn't have thought a change would be necessary until the k's get up a bit higher - any thoughts?

S

silviac

I-nearly-bought-a-batty said:
hey, my S15 owners manual makes no mention from memory of changing the Diff oil until something like 100k's - true?

My car has done 45k's so the gearbox and Diff oil are still original. I wouldn't have thought a change would be necessary until the k's get up a bit higher - any thoughts?

yes right.

But i just changed it at 45K. just that i was putting better oil than factory one so I can run better:D :D

well at least placebo effect...

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
silviac said:
I-nearly-bought-a-batty said:

yes right.

But i just changed it at 45K. just that i was putting better oil than factory one so I can run better:D :D

well at least placebo effect...
Yes, No harm in changing it
Have some Motul PA90 oil waiting :)

Nicely. What is that?

M

Meddy

Nicely said:
Its a 13mm drain plug key. Stick it on a breaker bar and shove it in the drain plug and you're sorted :)
Or you can just use the 1/2 inch drive on a breaker bar which will also do the trick. :nod:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Meddy said:
Nicely said:
Its a 13mm drain plug key. Stick it on a breaker bar and shove it in the drain plug and you're sorted :)
Or you can just use the 1/2 inch drive on a breaker bar which will also do the trick. :nod:
It does, but the 13mm key is a perfect fit, as opposed to a close fit that the 1/2 inch is... :nod: The key will only cost a couple of quid.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
Meddy said:
Nicely said:
It does, but the 13mm key is a perfect fit, as opposed to a close fit that the 1/2 inch is... :nod: The key will only cost a couple of quid.
Will get one of those then. And use my huge 3 meter breaker bar :D
That should do the trick :)

Reaction score
Topper said:
Mine was changed at 48k :nod:
bah - I'm gonna leave mine for a few more k's. Brakes and Engine oil are the main ones to keep an eye on.

Unnecessarily changing all the fluids just makes you feel better so that if your ride goes bang - you know you've done all you could :D

ps - is it a hard operation? I'd assume you do the gearbox oil at the same time as the diff? Nicely must have a "how to" guide lying around somewhere :D

M

Meddy

Yakozan said:
Nicely said:
You may struggle for room on the diff with a 3meter breaker...
Don't know if I used the correct word :eek:
I meant one of these
And adding a 3 meter steel pipe :)
Yep but the trouble is you havent got room underneath to get such a long extension in. Mine came off with just a normal ratchet. IT wasnt as tight as everyone makes out.

M

Meddy

Nicely said:
Having done this on two cars, I'd say you were lucky...
More to do with the condition of the car I think. :nod: Lots of jobs that people say should be difficult werent.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Meddy said:
Nicely said:
Having done this on two cars, I'd say you were lucky...
More to do with the condition of the car I think. :nod: Lots of jobs that people say should be difficult werent.
My gearbox one came off pretty easily. I suspect it has been changed recently though.
But the diff one is another story. I think it has alot to do with the thread sealant stuff on it.

I'll just borrow the lift from the garage neighbours. That will make enough room for my steel pipe :D