What's new

Clicking when in boost, sound like it from ECU??

Reaction score
hi,

I fitted my greddy boost controller and fuel pump today no problems really!

drove the car and have now kind of got the controller set up @ low boost till its mapped but have noticed a clicking sound when touching boost when i left the cinema tonight, it wasnt doing it before when the controller was on ealier this evening or maybe i didnt notice but pretty sure it wasnt.

it clicks when you start going into boost and continues to click but when you hit higher rpm the exhaust drowns it out, car is boosting perfect and smoothly, no lights on dash, no smells just a clicky sound that sounds like it coming from ECU but suspected the Boost Solenoid originally.

i drove to a service station got the bonnet open and reved it with my ear close to the solenoid and it dindnt seem to click but my GF said she could hear a click from inside the car and does sound like ECU area!

i had to obviously unplug the stock solenoid and remove will this cause a problem?

any ideas guys? should i be worried.. :confused:

Cheers

Reaction score
after a little more research it looks as if it might be the solenoid clicking, and this is normal! i have used the rubber washers provided but may need to buy some further cushioning and see how it goes.

other opinions will be appreciated though!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
The fact that you have a popular GReddy device mate I'm surprise no one else has experienced this clicking noise?!

If it's boosting ok and the car is running fine then there shouldn't be anything mechanical to worry about. I'm surprised a solenoid would be clicking so loud you can hear it whilst driving (even in low revs). Hope you get it sorted mate :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
it doesnt click loudly mate, just that when its bolted directly to the inner wing it sort of amplifies it :)

Reaction score
yeah that why i dont think i heard it when i had my ear to it, it tap against the inner wing and you can hear from cabin,

didnt do it today though, or i didnt notice anyway!

got the controller set up pretty good now, took a bit of reading to get my head around the settings on it, its strange it works out boost in percentage not actual pressure. but all good now!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
It's cos all cars are different and boost controllers can only try and react to what you've set it to rather than control pressure from the outset.

Reaction score
yeah but EBC's have there own Pressure sensor telling the controller unit the actual value from the pressure source you pick- in my terms the BOV vacuum pipe,

so i dont see why it doesnt run in actual pressure rather than in percentage from the wastegate pressure.

got it boosting pretty good though, sounds a bit different aswell and seems to spool quite a bit more aggresively..