What's new

dash lighting

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
hey guys,

has anyone upgraded the dash lighting bulbs in the main instrument panel?
ive fitted all my new gauges in and they are the same colour as the dash lights (ambery red:confused:) anyway, the standard dash bulbs arent that bright at all and id like to brighten them up a bit to match the rest. any ideas?
also does anyone know if the bulbs in the aircon unit are changed for amber ones, whether the amber will get through or is there a light blue filter in the inside of the unit?

thanks in advance:)

M

Matt_S

I wouldnt bother attempting to change the AC set lights. Its not like you can get one off a scrapper if you fcuk it up - which I have in the past with S14 units tryign to put new lights in them :wack:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
well i can see the 3 little wedge bulbs in it, they are accesible from the back without taking the unit apart, but wont bother unless the colour of the bulbs will filter through. thanks for the info though mate.

Reaction score
The air con bulbs are normal bulbs with a blue rubber cover on them to give them colour, you can take the bulb out and peal off the blue rubbber and they will shine through amber, but this will only be on on the buttons not on the screen! there are two smaller bulbs inside for the screen which i guess might have the same covers but can't remember. :)

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Will be sorting out my dash at some point - making custom dial kits is what I do! In my experience, most LCD panel displays have a colour filter built in, which is normally changable - you can keep the white bulbs but just add in a film of your desired colour to get nice crisp lighting.

A lot of the time, little windows on buttons and the like have coloured lenses which makes it more tricky, though it's easy enough turning amber into red for example, or even purple, but anything other than that is tricky. As mentioned, if changing bulbs and filters can be done without hacking things to bits, why not give it a go.

I'll probably change my dash for blue, and hopefully change the LCD panels to red, for a nice contrast. When I finally get round to it I'll write up some info :)

B

bugelli

what bulbs are they? cause my fuel gauge light is stuffed and was just wondering about how to take it all off

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Details for removing the intrument cluster are within the service manual, a case of taking off various bits of trim before lifting out and diconnecting. Not got in there yet myself.

B

bugelli

well i dont have a service manual, cause mine straight from japan and yer there prob a pdf file somewhere. hint. anyone? lol

Reaction score
Last edited: