What's new

Dear Nissan, why only 165bhp???

G

Ger Keane

Can someone tell me why nissan only got 165bhp out of the non turbo S15 engine? im sure it mite have been asked before but when u look at other 2 litre n/a cars such as the Altezza, toyota managed to get well over 200bhp out of that beams engine. also look at nissans own Pulsar only 1.6litre but 180bhp, and their autech tuned pulsar at 200bhp. i know of the autech n/a S15 alright that manages 200bhp. it makes me sad when all the lads in their Toyota Levin BZR'S which are everywhere in ireland have the same ampunt of power as me:(

J

james_pa28

Just remember you're driving a RWD S15 regardless how much power it has!

Altezza engines are straight 6!

I'm not sure but weren't SR20's designed first and foremost as a turbo engine? End of the day it's not their flagship engine is it, I think they were more interested in marketing their turbo engine being the top spec silvia engine! I find Honda are the only company that make abnormally powerful N/A 4 bangers!

G

gunner93

I think the VZRs with Neo VVL are rated 174++ at the the flywheel. Its lesser if taken at the wheels.

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
Altezza engines are straight 6!
Depends on the model - the 200hp ones are actually a straight 4, beams tuned engine. (RS200 / z edition). The AS200 / IS200 is a beams-built straight 6 with more low end torque, but a lower overall hp figure (can't recall what it is).

He's right thought, regardless of power - you're in a fantastic as well as very good looking S15! :nod:

Reaction score
Country
Power wins specification sheet, torque wins race. They may have couple hp more than you but u *might* have more torque than them. Maybe most of em, not all.

J

james_pa28

Depends on the model - the 200hp ones are actually a straight 4, beams tuned engine. (RS200 / z edition). The AS200 / IS200 is a beams-built straight 6 with more low end torque, but a lower overall hp figure (can't recall what it is).
Ah cool, never knewthat, Ijust jumped to conclusions with my little knowledge :eek:

Not much of a toyota buff really :D

Reaction score
the 3sge (yamaha beams tuned) engine is a four pot ladies and they are rated at 230bhp but to be honest they dont really make that much or near it lol. Not sure why nissan decided to make a 1.6 n1 with 200bhp but dont forget they were limited to 200 units.

P

Paddy mack

mitsubshi jumped on the n/a high performance engine band wagon with CJ4A 1600cc with 175BHP found in lancers and mirage/colt, and the 200bhp fto is only a 2000cc, god bless Vtec know how

J

james_pa28

mitsubshi jumped on the n/a high performance engine band wagon with CJ4A 1600cc with 175BHP found in lancers and mirage/colt, and the 200bhp fto is only a 2000cc, god bless Vtec know how
My friend used to have a mirage cyborg (4 door colt with a mivec lump) tht car was badass! 1 of 3 known in the UK when he bougt it. really was unusual and was quick too! Still think my civic SiR was the better car, :p but the mirage was very unusual!

As much as I love vtec's still not sure I'd choose it over a turbo! :no:

S

s15 Damo

You can get a 200bhp non turbo sr20 in the 15 if you opt for the autech version

Reaction score
Ger Keane,

Just remember this, though you might only have 165PS, there's just no match for an RWD car in the track. Look at it this way.

The levin BZR's, DC5's, EK9's are all solid 170+bhp bangers, with one distinct disadvantage...they're fwd. The worse of the lot is the toyota. On paper the Levin is touted to produce 175PS right? big deal,..with a kerb weight of 1.4 tonnes its just haulin excess fat around a track. The honda's..? yeah sure vtec this and that, but seriously, as the fella's needle is racing keenly above the 5000rpm mark to the infinite redline he's already hard on the brakes trying to shift all that weight to get a good cornering speed. Then come you...165PS, 1.3 tonnes RWD...mate you had that pack of rides even before the green light went off man..

The altezza... 200ps detuned 3SGE? with a kerb weight of 1.6 tonnes...its nothing more than a JDM grocery getter. And the altezza's straight 4 is nowhere near the awesome 3SGTE lump.

Take her out on a track and you'll get the pic. :D s15's are perhaps the only car that can give the NSX and RX7 a good run for their money. The ONLY car that really scares me or any s15 driver on the road for the same displacement type is that blasphemous Honda S2000. That crotch rocket is my personal kryptonite on the road. RWD 250PS with VTEC.

Last edited:

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
lmao ace reply.

I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning, there was an s15 NA at the Auto Salon, it was running ITB's, why not do that?

Maybe not kick out much more power but the hawtness level would be through the roof!!!!!

S

sillbeers15

Amused 15,

Below 6000rpm, the S2000 is only a pussycat! I've driven one, I know. Turbo kicks in so much earlier.

Tumbs up for the S2000's handling! Great chassis...and weight distribution.

Reaction score
Country
I raced a stock ish s2000. it did'nt stand a chance against my mild tuned s15 spec r.:cool:

it is one good handling car tho.

what is the weight of those s2000's anyway?