What's new

Does anyone have an ECU I can borrow for fault finding?

E

empty_inside

My SpecR intermittently looses a cylinder, usually in the first 10 mins of a journey. It's usually #2, but has also been #1 and #3. I initially changed #2 coil pack but that didn't solve the problem and then it started happening to other cylinders. I've had a mechanic who knows Silvias have a look, and he's tried basically everything: coil packs, all earth points, followed the whole loom round through the bulkhead and back, checked the AFM, CAS, etc, checked the fuelling, and so forth. He can't find anything wrong, so we're left thinking it's the ECU (a dry solder joint or broken ignition driver).

Before I shell out silly money to replace it, has anyone got a factory ECU or any other plug-in replacement I could borrow for a few days to test it? I'm in Cambridgeshire.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
I've got a standard one, but its come out of a car thats been sat for a long time. popped it open and everything looks fine. I can post it down if you want to give it a go?

Jay

Reaction score
are they difficult to remove/replace? i have a nistune'd one in my car and im in cambs... as long as it dont screw up my car im willing to meet up and allow the swap to see if it helps?

i also know a tuner who could probs find the issue in about 10 secs flat if you want him to have a look? he based near st ives and mapped my car and countless other sr20's, plus builds engines for fun

Last edited:
E

empty_inside

Brilliant, thanks! I think they're a doddle to get out, they're in the cabin and all the wires just go into a plug that clips out. I know a very decent garage in Cambridge itself (they have a couple of SR20s on hoists atm) who have been looking at this since I ran out of ideas, but thanks for the recommendation. I reckon we just go round there and let the mechanic do it, then there's no chance of breaking anything. He also knows a couple of tricks to make the problem occur quicker.

When's good for you?

Jay

Reaction score
it would have to be evenings and sometime over the next week as im off to spain for 10 days on the 14th, and if u want me to come to cambridge then i would need to sting you for fuel due to the aforementioned holiday leaving me broke! other way around it is to see if your mechanic would come with you in your car over to me in peterborough...

i will pm you my number, text me anytime before 9pm if you think we can sort something.