What's new

does my LSD oil need to be changed?

S

S1Five

hmm ok taking corners in my car and i try to accelerate out of the turn (only gently on the throttle) and the car kind of jerks as if i just popped the clutch and the power just went to the rear wheels, it doesnt lose traction or anything but just a 'jerk' feeling' from the rear end

is this sign of needing to replace the oil in my diff?

thanks!

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
You mean it feels like you loose some traction at the rear but you don't?
I would try some locking collars for the rear subframe bushes and replace the oil. :)

Well that's what I'm doing, just haven't driven the car yet so can't say if it worked or not.

S

S1Five

nah it feels like as if im suddenly applying ALOT of power to the rear end and it just jerks and not following the front end. but during this process im not losing any traction at all, its just a feeling from the rear

S

S1Five

nope, like i said its very light throttle tapping

and this only happens on like once every few times i go driving

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
When coming on and off the throttle?

Mine clunks back and fore when coming off and on the throttle, this has only happened once fitting solid sub-frame collars. Its beleived to be diff knock.

Reaction score
Country
topper,

How does the solid sub-fram collars feel? I mean street wise. I believe it will harshen the ride as the solid collars transfer directly to the chassis itself? Will polyurethane be better?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Not much difference in ride. Bit more noisy due to diff noise transmission. Phenomenal difference to handling. The back end tightens up a hell of a lot. Not surprising when the standard bushes have something like 15mm flex in them....

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Cant say i've noticed a difference in fitting them, only that the noise has increased :nod:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:eek: The back tightened so much that I nearly lost it the first time I drove with them fitted. Was used to the usual sloppy over-compensation on tight bends and was taken unawares by the sharpness of the turn in...

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
nah it feels like as if im suddenly applying ALOT of power to the rear end and it just jerks and not following the front end. but during this process im not losing any traction at all, its just a feeling from the rear
I think I know what you're talking about, but it's hard to descibe in words.
Aplying throttle at a tight bend makes the rear jerk to one side.
The car is going where you point it with full traction but you feel that the rear isn't properly lined up anyway.
That's kinda like the thing I tried to describe :wack:
I would give the locking collars a go or new poly-bushes or pineapple rings.

S

S1Five

tonight i experienced the same thing but this time it was dramatically more 'dramatic'

just taking a turn normally and accelerated very lil and my car just gave this funny feel.

but i really hope its my LSD oil because i just realise i havent changed it in a long time.

just let me confirm the LSD oil changing means im changing the diff oil yes?
im confused because in the manual it states replacing lsd oil every 40000km and 20000 for the helical lsd

S

S1Five

just to cure the thought in my head because i jsut changed my LSD oil today.

if you have a LSD that isnt working to its full capability or efficiently
- what will this do to the car in terms of handling?

create understeer? if not working

and will the car not be able to handle the power efficiently coming from the driveshaft? so ill try to accelerate but not much is happening but then suddenly the power will rush through/