Electrical Problems *GRRR*!!!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hey guys,

Well sods law just as I sold the S15 to a mate yesterday (which was working fine as I'd been driving her now and then even in the cold weather) it seems he is getting all sorts of electrical issues since last night?! :wack:

1. With the engine turned off completely the Apexi FC hand controller stays on (green backlight on) and also some instrument warning lights stay on - this is with the key removed!

2. Speedo is now working intermittently... apparently it sometimes goes to 0 and stays there then suddenly jumps back up to the correct speed??

Can anyone please help as I'm not great with electrics?! The climate unit has also stopped working since last night so I'm going to ask him to check the fuse today... it's dead and won't turn on at all :(

I can't believe that in 3.5 years ownership I've never had any of these faults and the day after she is sold to someone else all this happens grrrrr!!!!

I'm not one of those guys who thinks 'it's his problem now it's not my car'... regardless of whether he's a good mate or not (and he is so I wanna sort it asap).

Cheers,

Annoyed, West Mids

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
There is a climate control diagnostic check you can do but if it won't turn on then it probably isn't much use. Who's bought your car BTW?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Well real strange goings on... my mate has removed a fuse labelled A/T Control which I thought is the automatic transmission fuse (??) obviously shouldn't be in use with my 6 speed manual box WTF??

Anyways when this A/T Control fuse is pulled out the FC hand controller and dash display warning lights go out like they should when the key is removed :wack: Climate and central locking is still not working even with fuses switched around.

He's booking into autoelectricians next Mon - this is a bloody mystery and really f*cking annoying!!

Craig - my mate Cad has bought the car although really it's a swap to be accurate. He really wanted mine and swapped me his RenaultSport Megane F1 230 R26 (liquid yellow) which is still within warranty '08 model and is mint. So it should sell next year for around £10k and I will have made more money and have an easier car to shift than Silvia lol... made more sense in the long run for me :)

I'm not publicising about owning a French car (haha) :p and also I won't ever drive it so there's no point in me talking about the 'swap' deal unless I have to lol...

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
One of my mates is looking for a Megane F1 230 as we speak.. Not sure if he was after yellow but I'll ask. They are bloody good cars TBF. Quicker than the new RS round a track in the wet and the R26R is the quickest production FWD round the Nurburgring and still only 230bhp. Very good cars.

C

cad

Hi Guys,

I'm Cad the new owner of James S15. Was just about to start a thread of my own and introduce myself and ask for some advice but I see James has been kind enough to try for me.

I hate that this has happened for one simple reason - I know very well nothing like this has happened before and believe James 100% on it, and in the same way since picking the car up last night NOTHING what so ever has been touched/messed with so its unfortunately one of the real f**king annoying things. This is exactly whats happened and they all must be related to one simple issue:

Last night whilst driving noticed the climate control console had stopped working. The button illumination lights were still on but the main electronic screen was totaly blank and none of the buttons could be activated. Thought the same thing that it must be a fuse so thought 'will check tomorrow' and didnt think too much of it. Parked her up and went to sleep.

this morning when I come back to the car the power FC is turned on and I have the oil light, hand break light and battery light illuminated. there is a clicking coming from somewhere near the steering column and also at one point a buzzing from the passenger side footwell??

I drove to work, turned off the car and yet again would not go off. So thought 'best leave it' and shut the door to lock it - no central locking working any more! I can only assume that although quite a few things have failed that its all related to one problem thats causing the electrics to have a right paddy.

Took it to a garage near me thats not the best electrically but thought they could try resetting the battery ect. In the ned they were able to remove fuse 11 from the drivers foot well which I believe to be labelled as A/T Control (its 10amp) and then the lights and power FC turned off. They come back on just fine now when I start the car however the alarm/remote locking still will not work and the climate control still wont turn on. So this is only a temp fix for now so that it doesnt kill my battery.

It's strange that the only real thing that has STOPPED working is the climate control so its got to be something that is linked into that - is it related anyway to a power FC/ignition power feed? Any main relay that could have gone?

I just hate it because its only happened since I've picked up the car so it looks bad on me even though I havn't touched a thing! Its just a good job I know James so well to know it's no fault on his part and visa versa for him. Hopefully its something nice and simple but just not easy to diagnose!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

C

cad

P.S The megane was a GREAT car - handling wise is was fantastic and also a decent amount of poke. Just wanted something a little more....RAW!

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Well, I'm certain you've got that!^^

Were you ever tempted to get a remap on the Megane? I don't think I could resist if it was mine.

As for your new car, I don't know what it is but I guess it may be an earth if lots of different things are all playing up. Dodgy earths go strange things to cars. There are a lot on the front panel (around the back of the headlights) but they normally cause the lights to do strange things, not the interior electronics..

C

cad

To be honest one of the HID's was playing up last night - had to turn it off and on a good deal of times before it just stayed on - possibly related?

If it wasnt for having James car I would of had the megane remapped within a few weeks. The only issue with the megane over a Jap car is the mods are 3x more expensive. To get the remap on which gives a good amount of torque (stage 2) you need an uprated FMIC - for an S15 you can get a brand new one for 250-300. The Megane its a £450 job minimum. Then the remap for stage 2 from the most reputable company for the car which is RS Tuning (K-Sport sell there maps) is another £600 on-top. So near enough £1100 - I was holding out to see if I was going to sell or keep - And then James popped into my head!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hey Cad,

Soz I jumped the gun for you and kinda introduced you with a problem... I'm so gutted this crappy problem is happening the day after you collected her booo grrr!!! :down:

Anyways, just reading your post there was something you didn't tell me when we spoke today... that is the clicking from steering column and buzzing from passenger footwell area... I actually had the same problem a few months back and got CPC to sort it and yes, my remote locking also failed on that time!!

So in essence it has to be the same problem which CPC did fix back then as they said I needed a new relay although I never had the problem of Power FC staying on etc.

Anyways, I'm sure it'll get sorted by CPC next Monday and you'll have Silvia back to how she should be!! :)

Craig - yeah the Megane 230 is mint and I'm tempted to have a blast at some point but also need the cash so would rather she's sold sooner than later lol... soz Cad!! :p

Edit: about the HID's mate on the very rare occasion one would sometimes not come on although turning off then on again did the trick but not more than once! I've always been told HID kits that you fit yourself not from factory can have this rare problem but if this keeps on happening let me know and I'll try and get another ballast from Albert who I get the HID stuff from :thumbs:

Last edited:

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
i know what it is!

you have a short on you constant live feed! i know this because my last drift day my wheel decided to eat my front harness where this wire and about 60 more live! i chopped it all up and re wired it and it all worked fine. Then i drove in the wet and my dash lights oil guage lights, SBC light brake and side light would never go off.

looked at my wiring and some had shortend out so i redid it and put more heat shrink on the wires and ita all good now.

Check to see if the wheel has been rubbing. if it has not then 100% water has got in somwhere.

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
haha :p dont think there is that much loom in the arches on the rear lol cant wait to rewire all mine.....Aye Right (in a scottish accent since Craig things I live in the North Pole :wack: ) lol

C

cougar power motorsport

haha :p dont think there is that much loom in the arches on the rear lol cant wait to rewire all mine.....Aye Right (in a scottish accent since Craig things I live in the North Pole :wack: ) lol
im sure you cant:p

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
hahaha i need to do mine properly as in cut into the body and run it through the engine bay! since i need to tub my arches for extra lock!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers Mr Tooley - I've advised the auto electrical guys and see what they find. So far they've spent around 40 mins and found nothing grrr!! :wack: