What's new

Engine noise through speakers with stereo.

Reaction score
Country
Hi Guys
Having a hard time getting my headunit to work correctly.

Short version.
Nzdm s15
4 channel amp powering incar speakers

Have an older pioneer headunit using the factory wiring loom via an iso connector with an alternate ground which is connected to the shifter plate.

Got a friends low end jvc headunit which i want to use as its got usb/mp3/bluetooth etc.

When his headunit is connected i get horrible electrical noise. My friend also has an nzdm s15 using an iso connector with factory wiring loom except he uses factory ground which i believe is to the stereo bracket and he got no noise.

Ive disconnected the rca cables from the amp and from the headunit to eliminate any noise with it.
ive tried grounding to the stereo bracket to no avail. If the original pioneer is in theres no noise but when the jvc is connected theres noise as soon as you turn the key to the on position i.e fuel pump prime via the speakers etc. If you turn the key to the acc position no noise.

Ive looked at both iso connectors for the headunit n they both match up wiring wise.

Really at a loss as to what im missing here.

Edit : I grounded the RCA shields and the noise mainly vanished so it's been suggested that this jvc headunit may have an internal ground fuse that has previously been blown. Because my friend is powering a subwoofer then its possible the noise is also present but his amp crossover is removing most of the noise.

Last edited:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Does your friend have noise when it is in his car? Does he have an amp? It will be a bad earth causing a ground loop. Try grounding the amp and the head unit to the same point. (temporarily for testing purposes if necessary). Also check your battery and make sure the terminals are clean and tight.

Reaction score
Country
I had this issue in my old S13. I found out it was a grounding issue. At the time, I fixed it and only picked up that noise on US AM stations.

H

HiTrumpPhia

Does the noise go along with your gas pedal? Like when you step on the pedal the noise picks up as well?