What's new

Exhuast silencer.... have you had to put one in?

Reaction score
Country
I had to put a exhaust silencer in today as my car failed its WOF (warrent of fitness) due to my exhaust being 96db and it needed to be 92db. after putting it in i only noticed a slight decrease in high-end power and the noise level it dropped down to was next to factory, and i have thought about keeping it in there for easy driving or taking passengers, and removing it when i need that bit more power.
But its butt ugly... Is there such a thing as paint that will withstand exhaust gas temp as it exits the rear of the muffler? as i would like to make it much less obvious.
Do any of you guys have to run with one due to the fuzz making noise laws?

*excuse the spelling in the title i fat fingered it

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
96db too loud?! Last trackday mine was 104.9db at 2/3rds rpm.. :p

The VHT (very high temp) paint would certainly do it. I painted a manifold with it once!

Reaction score
Country
cheers guys i saw some VHT in the auto shop yesterday, looks like the way too go.

Year mate 96db is too loud for the rules in NZ now, dont you have the same catback as me? HKS hi-power

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I have the HKS Hi-Power universal rear silencer but the rest of the system is custom made 3" mandrel from the turbo back with no other silencers. The Hi-Power muffler remains 3" all the way through too so doesn't baffle the noise very much. I love it :)