What's new

Gauge Setup Small Project

Reaction score
So I have picked up a set of Defis, all used but in excellent condition and all 60mm. My plans are to mount two on the pillar and three on top of the dashboard. Originally I wanted to get the DIN setup but since I got these for a good price I decided to go for it. I need ideas for the dash-mount setup as this is my daily and mounting it in my vents is not an option. For the pillar I have decided to do some fabbing. I have acquired two a pillar pod setups and I am going to be cutting both to make one setup with two pods. I have already seen where I am going to make my cut so that everything will be all snap on when done like factory and be able to house the two Defi 60mm, only thing contemplating is who gets to go in there, Boost for sure and I'm thinking Oil Pressure. I will be taking pics tonight when I cut the pillar setups and I will be plastic welding the inside and outside giving a lot of plastic reinforcement on the inside and then repsraying the entire thing. I am going for the stock look besides the gauges on the dash. Has anyone ever done this before, if so pics please. I have five gauges thus far to mount, Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp and EGT, I also have an RPM but I will use that in the project car along with the other Defi's I have, for my daily I am installing a Nismo Intrument Panel. Tell me what you guys think.

Reaction score
Country
Sounds good. The greddy dual gauge pod for s14/r33 doesnt fit I take it??

For the centre, I've seen some garage which made 3-gauge holder which replaces the airbag console in the passenger side which looks pretty clean.

Otherwise, I would just buy some visor kit for the gauge and mount them facing the driver. Looks nice and wouldnt need the trouble of finding 3 gauge holder, making it fit, spraying it etc etc

Reaction score
I actually have a three gauge holder from border, it's not the CF one though and it was made for the S15 but I am not sure if I want to use it on my setup, I like how the gauges look by themselves, more racer I guess but I am wondering on the running of the wiring for the guages, I don't wanna drill the dash. As for the S14 pillar pod I have I am keeping it for the project vehicle I have. The plan for the project car is to remove the air bag seyup and use the top of the air bag (cover) and create a mold to house the Defis in and have them angled to the driver and then also have it motorized so when the igntion is in the 'ON' position it will lever the stock air bag cover upward and reveal the three defis underneath. Yeah it is a little wild but it will retain the stock look when parked and would not attract anyone. I will be using A/C vent motors or sometihng of the sort for the levering of the gauges.

Reaction score
how about this CF gauge holder? it can be positioned on top of the airbag hole although its not covering the whole thing. but probably not easy to get since its from a small company in japan (FeizDesign).

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I would put the pressure gauges ni the a-pillar and the temp gauges on the dash.

Can't figure out how to do the wiring though without drilling or running them on the dash.

If you really want a nice looking pop up installation and have some spare cash, you could get a sat-nav dash for the pop-up screen and fit the gauges where the screen is supposed to be :)

Reaction score
Country
If you wanted to put the gauge itself on the dash, you only need one wire to go to the controller which is pretty easy to hide since the defis are daisy chain

If you really wanted, you can make the wire enter the windscreen vents and come up behind the dash. That way, it looks more clean and you dont have to drill holes in your dash.

I understand what you're trying to do TriniGT, the pic explains all. Done by OK racing in Japan

The problem I see is if there's enough room at the bottom of the dash to allow the airbag cover to lower the gauges down.

Reaction score
Man ichi-go that is what I am looking at and thanks Yakozan the SAT NAV idea is perfect it will rotate exactly as I would need. Yeah and thinking about it the defis are daisy chain so there is only need for one pair of wiring to run back to the unit as the the sensor wiring runs from the unit itself, sweet. Also, the room underneath where the AIR bag is located should be more than enough for my setup as I am only housing three gauges in there and also the air bag location is deep enough I think. Will keep you'll up-to-date on this project.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mate,

Thats really a crazy setup man! Its looks bloody good even though it compromised the passenger airbag...

Reaction score
Surely the passenger airbag setup wouldn't be legal as you're reducing the stock safety level of the car? Unless, it's a race car in which case there would be no problem. From a New Zealand perspective - we're not allowed to reduce the stock safety level - ie aftermarket non air bag wheels are illegal.

I've mounted my Defi gauges in the centre console above the stereo (2 gauges) with boost in the stock pillar. (no pics unfortunately). Just some 5mm MDF, black paint and McGyver fabrication skills :)

Reaction score
Country
It may not apply to where TriniGT is. In oz, you are not allowed to put gauges on your a-pillar as it's obstructing and posess a threat during a crash.

Well what they dont know dont hurt them I guess. There's where the stock airbag cover comes into play.... lol

TriniGT, didnt check if they flip down, guess they do. But one problem though, what are you going to do with the airbag light? Dodge it up(pull or totally mask the airbag bulb)?

Good luck anyway