What's new

Gonna go for an s14a... A little guidance...??

N

Nick

Well ive decided that after all my work looking into s15's, buying one would have been a little silly, as it would have involved a large loan... and its not quite the right time at the moment...

So im gonna go for an s14a... And as you all seem like trusty guys, with more knowledge than I, the i put you to the test...

There are two in sxoc at the moment which i been lookin at... I have now sold my car, so should have the money waiting for a decent example...

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=240095

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=240804

They are the two on the site... Now i want one that has been tuned already to save me the cash...

Do they seem like good cars...?? I know that viewing will help and i intend on doin that aswell... But what im after is, do the mods seem novice or well done, from the spec lists...??

And should any mods be done straight away if i got one of them...???

The problem i can only see is that the one with the lower milage has less service... But surely thats not a problem if its been looked after...

OPINIONS PLEASE... ;)

Thanks for your help

Nick

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Both of those have good points. I'll run over them.

Firstly, and this is something which really irritates me about the UK motor industry, neither of these cars are actually 2000 cars. They were REGISTERED in 2000, however, the S14a ceased production for Europe in 12/1999. So, they were both MANUFACTURED before then.

The one in Lincoln is a good Stage 1 example. FSH and the owner's a mechanic. Clean bodywork and all the 'compulsory' mods. Its going to be returning about 250-260bhp at 14 psi boost. If you are wanting to up the power, you are going to need a front mount IC, colder plugs, a front pipe and a decent electronic boost controller to start with.

The one in Bournemouth has everything you want to keep you happy for a while, power-wise. No service history though. That's not the end of the world - you just need to check the car over well and ask for all receipts. The scratch on the door will need sorting, however, I think the price reflects this. Good combination of tyres on individual alloys. Doesn't mention an uprated fuel pump. If one isn't fitted, you should do so.

Both are in a good colour, with the nice cream leather interior. Both have been lowered, but neither have any alignment mods. This will undoubtably mean the camber will be out and the inside of the tyres will wear quicker (check this).

Nothing more can really be said until you've seen and driven them. :)

N

Nick

thats exactly the answer i was after... I wanted someone to point out the main pluses and minuses in the so i have got an idea of how things work... new to the turbo field you see...

The second one's bodywork is no problem, my stepdad is a sprayer... The only thing that got me thinking is that the engine mods are a lot more 'this and that' compared to the other one, which seems to be more professionally cared for and has aimed at getting the fueling sorted... If you know what i mean... ;)

Its a shame i cant really afford an s15 after all... i just cant justify spending an extra 5k on an s15 of the same year, and technicly the same car...

Ill let you know how i get on... It'll definately happen, its just getting the right one... As i got the money waiting...

Cheers Nick

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I wouldn't say the Lincoln S14a has 'this and that' engine mods. Its classic Stage 1 right down the line.

A few things that raise a slight eyebrow with the other one is no mention of the fuel pump. This is a basic safety mod with upping the boost. May just not have been mentioned...

The problem with buying a highly modded car is that you have no guarantee that the work was done well, and there's a higher likelihood that the car's been driven hard. I'd say that, although there is less been done on the other one, what has been done has probably been done right. It also gives you the freedom to take the mods whichever way you like and make sure they're done to your satisfaction.

You are still getting a lot of car for the money with the Bournemouth one... :)

Going for an S14a first is a good move if money is a problem. It will get you used to the cars and if you decide to get an S15 later, you'll appreciate how much better they are :D I've had both - believe me on this :nod:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
If it was my money i'd be looking to go with the 1st one, looks cleaner and isnt as highly modded as the 2nd one, seems a safer bet...... but untill you go and view them nothing is for certain.

Good luck :thumbs: