What's new

GUIDE: Weight Saving

Reaction score
Country
Feel free to add to this. ie interior, flywheels, manifolds........ anything that was lighter then what was there.

Removal of engine bay aircon parts.
Aircon radiator, bracket, pump, belt, pulley, filter, pipes, bolts.
SAVED 13.6kg

might put it back in when summer comes around, removed as it had been removed before and put back in with engine swap, so no gas anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Missed the cockpit heat exchanger unit under the dash for some extra weight saving:thumbs: and if you want to lose sum more weight get scrapping with the use of a hot air gun to remove the sound deadening (lots of elbow grease required) there's enough of it and really does add up to considerable weight.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
spare wheel - god knows how much, but once you upgrade your brakes you may as well bin it as it won't fit anyway....

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Along with the tools, jack and the jack holder :) weighs next to nothing but there's no point having it in there if you have no spare wheel. The only disadvantage to removing the wheel is that the boot floor becomes slightly useless as the wood just bends. Last weekend I began carefully peeling some if the sound deadening from the boot too without scratching the paint! Again, there's not much point having that with an exhaust system that has only 1 silencer. surprising how much it weighs too.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i'm actually going to add a little sound deadening here and there, but it wont add up to anything near what i've already shaved :)

Reaction score
Country
i have this problem running R34 calipers & disks, solution is two 25mm + 4mm slip-on bolted together, spaced out 54mm from disk, just clears the caliper, puts the yellow biscuit right out at the edge of the guard, hellaflush biscuit!! :)
WEIGHT ADDED 1.8kg

Reaction score
Country
where is the sound deadening, all i every see when taking parts off is tin, and not like removed sound deadening just tin

drifter

Reaction score
Country
i have this problem running R34 calipers & disks, solution is two 25mm + 4mm slip-on bolted together, spaced out 54mm from disk, just clears the caliper, puts the yellow biscuit right out at the edge of the guard, hellaflush biscuit!! :)
WEIGHT ADDED 1.8kg
I might check that out mate, I run a fecking great 18" Rota GTR to clear the front brakes which makes the boot even more useless :D

Reaction score
Country
I might check that out mate, I run a fecking great 18" Rota GTR to clear the front brakes which makes the boot even more useless :D
i just picked up some second hand spacers off a S14 and had a 4mm slip-on in the shed, much lighter and cheaper then getting another wheel

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've been driving for nearly 8 years now, covering probably 18k miles per year and have never had a puncture which necessitated changing the wheel. New cars generally come with runflats or a can if foam instead of a wheel now!

Reaction score
Country
I've stripped all the tar sound proofing out of my 15 then laid the carpet back down as it weighs nothing and adds a little comfort :) back seats are back in but i did have them out for 6 months prior! Drivers side fixed Bride which weighs almost nothing, no seat belts, no airbags, boot is empty too... amazing what a difference removing all that made (in terms of lightness and noise haha!) my exhaust is 3" turbo back, decat with a NurSpecR... its loud and i love it :) haha

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Can't wait to strip everything out of my track car... aircon delete, radio + most of centre console delete, spare wheel delete, interior trim (90%) delete...

Although after picking up my Apex 6 point rollcage I bought the other day I think all that weight saving is completely lost after I get that welded in haha :wack:

Reaction score
Country
Can't wait to strip everything out of my track car... aircon delete, radio + most of centre console delete, spare wheel delete, interior trim (90%) delete...

Although after picking up my Apex 6 point rollcage I bought the other day I think all that weight saving is completely lost after I get that welded in haha :wack:
True but it would be heaver if you left that all in, in a fast fours article a guy saved 80kg out from his S14 by removing basically everything you are doing or are going to do.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yep - just removed all the interior last week when I started on the S14 at Speed Factory. Out went all the seats, trim, door cards, boot trim, spare wheel... only thing left is the dash and parts of the centre console.

Not sure how much this weighed but not convinced it was 80kg unless you included the original seats lol?! The rear seat is not that heavy surprisingly!!

Can't wait to get rollcage bolted and welded in plus removal of aircon :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
you can go too mad imo - if its still a street car, those savings are lost as soon as a passenger gets in....

Reaction score
Country
Yep - just removed all the interior last week when I started on the S14 at Speed Factory. Out went all the seats, trim, door cards, boot trim, spare wheel... only thing left is the dash and parts of the centre console.

Not sure how much this weighed but not convinced it was 80kg unless you included the original seats lol?! The rear seat is not that heavy surprisingly!!

Can't wait to get rollcage bolted and welded in plus removal of aircon :)
ill see if i can find that article and scan it for posting.. it might be rather helpfull im sure the guy was making a drift or track S14, it had a list of all the items removed for weight

J

JapanS15

If you have access to some dry ice....chop it up into some pieces and let it sit on the sound deadening material for about 10 minutes and then use a screwdriver and pry it up in one piece pretty easily. :thumbs:

SAFETY ADVICE...wear some leather gloves

Reaction score
Country
dry ice is also good for making safe explosions, smash it down to bread crumb size then tip about 2 table spoons of it into a coke bottle, then very very very quickly add water the screw the lid on and throw, fire in the hole type approach works best

J

JapanS15

Ohhhh yes, I used to do that all the time when I was younger and had unlimited access to it!