What's new

Has anyone fitted an OEM stereo from a new Nissan?

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Hey all,

ive been thinking about double din stereos, and I don't really think there's much reason to get a 7" touchscreen unless it's for GPS but then it cost so much and usually look more tasteful when then are turned off! So, what about a Nissan Qashqai GPS stereo? Might look good, but no idea about all the connections at the rear.

Anyone else done this?

Cheers!

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Looked into this. Definately not plug and play, so I think I might go aftermarket after all... Just need to find something that looks grown up. Hmm.

Reaction score
I quite like the functionality and customisation levels that can be had with some of the android systems that are now coming on the market, pretty cheap too. Just a bit of a risk as there isn't a huge amount known about them, but some of the android forums have had good results. Think i would take the risk and have a punt on one if my current stereo died, but would need a bit of research to get the right model as china is knocking out loads of slightly different ones.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Looks the biz. Decided to go for it. Will try and take an equally impressive photo with obscene amounts of bokeh ;)

Reaction score
Country
I have bought the exact unit above and plan to put it in my s15, it should wire up just like an aftermarket stereo. Match up the correct car harness wires to the plug location on the head unit and it should be good to go. I bought the proper wiring plug for the back of the head unit to do the wiring conversion along with the Bluetooth mic, GPS disc, GPS antenna, usb/aux plug and cable!

Unfortunately i haven't pulled the car out of storage yet so i am not much help right now!

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Awesome that's really encouraging. I managed to get it with maps and a bunch of adapters for figment, sub, aux, GPS etc all for 300 notes delivered hopefully worthwhile. With a fairly loud exhaust it's kinda pointless going mad of sound system so not too fussed about amp and sub etc. we'll see. Thanks man :)

Reaction score
Country
Quick update from me, i got the head unit completely working along with the bluetooth. Currently having problems with the GPS not recognizing my GPS disc, i think the disc may be too new or else maybe the North American disc won't work in the Euro head unit? I just need to clean up some wiring and run my bluetooth mic where i want it. I will post pictures tomorrow once i get this all done!

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Awesome. I have mine in too, but GPS barely works due to the antenae location. I stuffed it in behind the headunit and there's just too much signal blocking metal in the way. Also, the FM signal is fairly weak. I would have pulled it out and sorted it but I've been getting on with other things so it's a job that needs to wait. I haven't bothered with the Microphone, but glad to hear you've managed it - I am kinda tempted.

Didnyou find your your headunit took up all the available space? Mine is slightly smaller so I had to get a piece of plastic cut down to make a small blanking plate. It does look the business tho, really sets off the interior and modernises the whole thing without appearing modified.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
I didn't get many pictures but i completely installed it tonight and it all works still except for GPS. I installed my mic in the factory A-pillar boost gauge and it works great. Since my car came with two aftermarket headunits (one was gps and the other was a normal stereo) the bracket that held them in worked great on the new headunit, the way i mounted it i have a 5mm gap between the head unit and climate control. I plan to get a piece of black trim to place in between.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Ah wow, that's interesting that you mounted yours with the gap below and I went with the gap above. It looks good. Where did you put your GPS sensor? Or have you foregone that part for now? My GPS works, just not very well but when I get time I'll fix that. I'd love to see how you went about the creation of the microphone piece! I haven't bothered with that bit, but then I connected up my phone and it sounds really good through the stereo so I thought of you doing it and started to want it a bit more :D

Reaction score
Country
I did mount my GPS antenna, its right under the dash by the clutch pedal. Even though its not working right now i figured i would just put it somewhere incase i get it working.

The bluetooth microphone was honestly super easy, I wish i took pictures! I basically bought a Nissan bluetooth mic part number 28336-1vu0a. It has 4 wires but i only used 3, as well as 3 of the 5 wires on the patch harness part number 24036-bg00a. I read somewhere on google which patch harness wires were what, then i pulled the cap off the mic and on the mic's PC board it labels all the wires so i just matched them up.

I will get some pictures of it tomorrow, it may sound difficult through the way im explaining it but pictures will make sense.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Awesome, I have the 24036-bg00a bit so it's just getting a mic together next. Also, do your buttons on the headunit light up? Mine don't and I'm now sure if they are meant to or not.

Cheers! :)

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Hmmm. Can't seem to get illumination. Ive had GPS working, but only inaccurately so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with the antennae. I've placed it behind the speedo to see if I get better results there, you never know.

I think that although I have connected it up and can get sound and function from the unit, I must have the wrong wiring adapter kit. Can you take a look at the pic and see if you remember using the wires that go down in the pic? None of those are used in my configuration that I have which seems odd.

Attachments

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
GPS behind speedo win!

illumination still a mystery tho. Shame I'm well jealous of yours but not sure which wire(s) I'm after.

Reaction score
Country
I will take a look on my headunit and see which wire i used for illumination, i remember some of the wires being labelled. I have attached a pic of the wiring pinout i used for our headunit, i'm about to go plug away at the car so i will pull the headunit out and take some pics!

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
You are my hero!

I might have celebrated prematurely. Counting up the used/necessary wires it seems like I have as many pins needed as used. Hmm. If you get some pics I'll be super grateful. Would be good to know how many wires you think are needed in total. It is possible my headset is just broke but it looks like the buttons are design to be illuminated fosho.

im trying to work out the colour of the wife leaving my stereo for illumination. Isn't the yellow one? Gonna have another look tomo I think. Beer time now.

Last edited: