What's new

Help!! Grinding noise

Reaction score
Help!! Grinding noise. Have a listen...

Ive only had the car two weeks and I think there may be a problem with the gearbox but im not certain. I can hear a terribly loud grinding noise coming from under the car from around the gearbox area. Its very loud at high revs, 4k+. Does it in gears 1, 2 and 3. I never revved it hard enough in 4th. I also get resonance inside the car. The only thing ive noticed with gear changes is a slight crunch between changes. Ive also been hearing slight rattling sounds before this noise got really bad as if somethings loose between 2-3k revs. Ive made a recording of the noise. I really need to know what this is. The cars still under warranty but I need to get it officially diagnosed. Anyone know a good place in London to get it checked?

http://www.delsoluk.com/s15/recording2.wav

Last edited:
Reaction score
Phew!! Thanks to my cousin, we sussed out that its the heat shield around the CAT thats causing the problem. I started the car from cold and there was no noise. After warming it up with a little spirited driving, the noise came back. Looks like the old Nissan problem of sh*t bolts and expanding metal. Will get under the car on the weekend and work my magic.