What's new

Help me out with manifolds/elbows

Reaction score
Country
hey guys,

My friend is staying in Japan next month so you know what that means...JDM goodies for me!:smitten:

So I've been looking into turbo manifolds and I've got a question. Is there any real reason to buy the more expensive HKS, Trust, JIC manifolds over the Tomei one? I have not heard any bad things about Tomei product. I've also only seen one cracked manifold from them.

That being said, I don't mind spending the additional money for one if there is a real difference in quality/performance.

Same thing with the turbo elbow. I figured I would go with the Tomei piece but I could be swayed with information that I might not know.

So then people let me know :wave:

Reaction score
Hi there the tomei units are top quality, ive owned both the manifold and now the elbow :D. I have seen the manifold crack and ive also seen one melt believe it or not. I know of a few s15's running high power with no problems at all. Ive gone for a tomei elbow over the hks and greddy units due to the build quality of the tomei being better imo.

Just remember that the standard manifold flows enough for 300bhp so an aftermarket mani is of more benifit with more power.

If it was me id buy them :D

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i run a ths performance elbow from ebay (ths no longer sell 200sx stuff but its similar to a japspeed) and a horsham developments manifold. running 350bhp+ through them and havent had any problems......the manifold and elbow probably cost me less than a tomei elbow alone espescially at todays rates:nod: all the stuff for the s14a fits but if you get an s14a elbow you will need the downpipe to match for it to fit properly - same goes for s14 as they differ slightly...manifolds for sr20det s14/14a/ps13 with sr20det will all fit.

G

GUEST_JDM

id say go a cheaper manifold mate, the main reason for stainless steal manifolds cracking is due to movment/stress under heat, most after market exhaust systems dont offer flexi pipes infact im yet to see a jap brand one with a flexi pipe. i have a blits 1200 dollar off the shelf exhaust system and i welded a flexi to it the day i put my new turbo/ mainifold in and its been like it for two years now, and my manifold only cost 110 aud off ebay lol

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for all the suggestions. I figure I will go with the Tomei elbow and manifold for my setup. I've already told my friend to scoop them up for me when he gets the chance.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
they are quality items mate, but the cost of them would get you an upgrade turbo:wack:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
they will probably crack as quickly as the next one though. i figure that if peoples manifolds are cracking, it must be due to a exhaust mounting or worn engine mount issue - the heat that goes through it certainly doesnt help but there are people with cheap ones that have run them for yonks without cracking and there are people with 800-00 hks manifolds that have cracked after a short time:confused: the money could really probably be better spent elsewhere......

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah may have to look into this soon cos when I took my piping apart, found that the compressor wheel in the stock tubby has very slight movement?! Not good :no:

Oh well, guess I'll HAVE to look into an Owen Developments 450 bhp rated Garrett turbo and speed up my other mods like the mani and elbow lol :D

Just purchased the Japspeed front/down pipe and decat - can't wait to get this fitted...

I was going for all Tomei stuff as regards to mani and elbow but I'm siding towards a Japspeed item - like Dean, think I'd rather the money go elsewhere and currently, with plans to get to 350 bhp and more than this until many moons later, I'm not willing to invest in an expensive mani. There just seems to be owners with both cheap and expensive mani's that have all had problems over time.

It might as well be like tyres - be prepared for wear and tear then replace haha :wack:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
yep, the h-dev is similar in design to the tomei expreme anyway, mine hasnt cracked yet....

D

daniel83

I have the Japspeed elbow. And it´s going too be replaced by Tomei this winter.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
just out of curiosity how much are the tomei manifolds at the moment....

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i'm not sure about that, but i'm getting a heat shield made up for mine soon and the guy should be able to reproduce it for little money, the same guy that makes all the efl stainless stuff, very nice gear.

i didnt wrap mine, i've had no heat related issues at all after motorway journeys, in traffic or anything, i think that heat wrapping could be bad - will burn out all your silencer wadding in no time (mines gone now anyway lol) and the heat has nowhere to go other than into the gas, soaking down the exhaust or back into the head which is where i believe it may cause problems...but this is only in my own opinion.:thumbs:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
I was more worried about getting the heat wrap cos I'm gonna be taking it out on track a few times every year etc...??
forgot to mention, dont know if he did but you may have to modify your downpipe as the manifold moves everything downwards a little...