What's new

Help with 2 problems please

P

Paul D

Right firstly been to have a drive of my silvia tonight im picking it up tomorrow.

1, when turning the steering lock to lock or at slow speeds i can hear a twang noise from the springs on the front of the car. Its got coilovers fitted but not sure what make etc and they're a hard ride. If WD40 is sprayed on the springs it goes off for a little bit so is it ok to slap grease all over where they sit?

2, when accelerating all the way up the rev range the boost gauge never goes above 0.5. Its had a hks evc fitted but i think it has just been unplugged for the sva. Can the boost level drop with all the other parts left on? If i find the wires and plug it in do you think it will solve it?

Apart from these 2 little niggles the car is amazing, money well spent and well worth the wait:nod:

P

Paul D

i only had a quick go of it and didn't get up to them speeds i'l find out tomorrow on my way home and post it up.

Is it normal for hard coilovers to make noises when turning its as if the springs are jumping or slipping?

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
if the evc has ben unpluged its problem gone bak to standard boost which will be at 0.55bar untill u reach about 5.5k revs which will boost about 0.7/0.8bar....try that first then see how it goes...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Peak boost should be lower than 5500rpm. From my experience (and I had over six months of struggling with peak boost issues), its 4500-5000 in 5th/6th.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Your suspension issue, my previous coilovers (Tein HA's) didnt make nosie when turning, i replaced these with Apex Coilovers, the front passengerside has the same thing, when turning lock to lock the spring jumps round and 'clunks', i got on to Apex and they have sent me some new mounts for the top of the spring to seat into, which spins freely when twisted, so should solve the problem.

G

gunner93

Seems like the aftermarket stuff gives out lots of noises lol...

1) Aftermarket clutch - judders
2) Aftermarket coilovers -clunking
3) Aftermarket exhaust - rumbles
4) Aftermarket LSD - cracking
5) Aftermarket fuel pumps - whirring
6) Aftermarket injectors - ticking
7) Aftermarket hi-cams - rough idle

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There is a reason why manufacturers fit the stuff they do... :nod: Mind you, the whining 6MT is quite distinctive, as is the steering wheel and roof lining rattle... :p

G

gunner93

Yep even the rear wheel bearing has this slight whirring noise on mine... not sure if its normal or worn out. :wack:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Seems like the aftermarket stuff gives out lots of noises lol...

1) Aftermarket clutch - judders
2) Aftermarket coilovers -clunking
3) Aftermarket exhaust - rumbles
4) Aftermarket LSD - cracking
5) Aftermarket fuel pumps - whirring
6) Aftermarket injectors - ticking
7) Aftermarket hi-cams - rough idle
I like numbers 3, 5, 6 and i guess i'd like 7. The rest you can keep along with the steering wheel :mad:

P

Paul D

Well i fixed the boost issue now. i was busy doing the pigeon mod today and found a split pipe so now problem solved.

Thanks for the info on the coilovers its a sign of relieve cos i was worried about them. I havent had a chance to grease them yet but will do at the weekend.