What's new

Hi All Few Things To Ask :)

C

ChrisWoodward

Hi I'm Chris,

I have always wanted an S15 Silvia and finally convinced the Mrs I need to get one now before all I can pick up is a rusted shed.

I have been going back and forth with the decision whether to buy a Spec S or R now im only 23 so I assumed that the type S would be a better option for insurance ect but it turns out im getting quotes slightly cheaper for the R, details are: 23, 4years NCB and 5 years of driving, no accidents or points etc and its coming out at about £1700 does this seem right?

Also I am not afraid of buying a project in fact I would probably prefer it but is there anything I should be weary of? Except of course VVT Rattle.

Sorry for the wall of text, If anyone thinks they may have something suitable or know of someone that does please let me know.

And Finally, Hi All!

Chris

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Welcome,

The spec R is the one to get if you can afford it. Not only did it come with the turbo motor, it also has quite a number of extras which includes strengthening to the chassis. As for things to be weary of, just the usual thrashing / crash damage. Have a look at the for sale section, there may be something in there that catches your fancy.

Not sure about the price of insurance, but I am sure the UK boys will help you out.

C

ChrisWoodward

Thanks very much for your reply, interesting stuff as I only thought it was the difference between NA and Turbo.

To be fair the car wont really be used until 2013 anyway so the insurance will come down more by then as I want it ready for the next cross Europe and Nurburgring Trip.

Reaction score
Country
Hey welcome

I own a Spec S myself and the insurance is ok. Petrol is also good.
I've got 3 years no claim and I pay about the £900 mark with Sky Insurance.

Meddler is also right about the difference with the Spec R & S.

Mine is up for sale, could be a good project car and turn her into a Spec R lol.

C

ChrisWoodward

Hey welcome

I own a Spec S myself and the insurance is ok. Petrol is also good.
I've got 3 years no claim and I pay about the £900 mark with Sky Insurance.

Meddler is also right about the difference with the Spec R & S.

Mine is up for sale, could be a good project car and turn her into a Spec R lol.
To be fair I think I would be happy with a Spec S to begin with so I'll have a little look at yours on the for sale threads.

EDIT: Just looked shame its an auto as I want a manual, nice car though and GLWS, your not too far from me either which is annoying.

Last edited:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I honestly believe that you don't get a spec R if you convert a spec S. There are so many differences, that it is cheaper and easier just buying an R in the first place.

C

ChrisWoodward

I think I'm going to find this a problem I don't really have more than £6k-£7k to spend and to be honest there isn't much choice about, they really are becoming very few and far between!

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
Have to say your quote is about right I bought my Spec R when I turned 20 and I paid £1900 for insurance f.c through A.Flux
3 points and 3 years ncb but 110% would say go for a Spec R over a Spec S time and time again,
cause you will know deep down after a few months you should of payed that little extra for the thrill :)

Reaction score
Country
Im with Adrian Flux... im 23, 5yrs NCB, 6 points, had my SpecR 15months (had an RX8 for 2 years before the 15) and i pay £806 fully comp all mods declared........... those insurance quotes of yours sound INSANE!

Reaction score
Country
insane is to pay 15.000EUR for perfect s15 spec R from japan AND THEN pay 65% of the whole price for taxes in your country, because its the only car there and its not from EU. LOL.

as im perfectionist... its better to pay more and get your dream car than get half of that and chasing the other half. :nod:
If you have 7k to spend, buy some great looking spec S... but like meddler said... it is the difference.
If you are really dreaming about spec R all the time, earn some more money and buy it later. with no rush.
I was working for my car 2years. now im 21, and i am the proud owner. its worth it. :thumbs:

Jay

Reaction score
buy the spec r as has been said. if you dont then you will always regret it. there has never been a great choice for sale as its a rare car here, but keep saving and keep your eye out, one will come along eventually!

C

ChrisWoodward

buy the spec r as has been said. if you dont then you will always regret it. there has never been a great choice for sale as its a rare car here, but keep saving and keep your eye out, one will come along eventually!
Yeah and thats exactly what I'm going to do, I have been in touch with an importers as well that say they can get me a pretty standard spec R to play with for 8k so just a few more months saving and ill be there.

Reaction score
Country
Someone on here had a Spec R for sale for less then 8k, ( in your currency )

I know you have already decided on the turbo and dont change your mind!

but i will just say this for other people. I have owned both and the differences between the two is like going from a good looking rear wheel drive primera to what a silvia is all about. Listing all the differences would surprise you. i still keep finding things on the spec r that weren't on the spec s, for example the body stiffening difference is:
1: Larger sway bars
2: Extra front subframe brace
3: Extra rear subframe brace
4: Pillar braces top
5: Pillar braces bottom.
4: Roof Brace
5: Rear boot brace:
6: Front Boot corner braces:
7: Strengthen tension rod bracket
8: Front Top strut brace
9: Rear Top strut brace
10: Strengthened rear member stay
11: I think i need to start a separate thread..........

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
maybe you should and then I can add it to the useful threads. :)

C

ChrisWoodward

I have decided to import directly as I can get a Spec R to my door fully registered with 12months mot, IVA check, 6months tax and 6months warranty through a well recommended importer (my dads friend) for a little over £6.5k.

Only agonizing thing is the 6-8 week wait!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Plus the many months it will take to find a decent one..

C

ChrisWoodward

Thats true but its ok I'm in no rush plus as long as it runs and doesn't have severe rust its fine as I have a lot planned for the car so suspension, brakes, alloys, tires, boost pipes, various parts within the engine (i.e pistons, h/g, rods), bushes, most panels as its going wide arched and pretty much what ever else needs changing will be replaced so I just need a solid engine and chassis to start with then about 6-12 months of my blood sweat and tears will do the job.

C

ChrisWoodward

Indeed but it wouldn't be exactly how I want it and I wouldn't have such a good idea of the quality of the build + I love seeing cars go from rags to riches.

I build cars for a hobby so for me if I bought it pre-made there would be no fun in it at all.

Reaction score
Country
that insurance is steep in my opinion mate.
i'm 22, got 3 points, 3 years NCB, 5 years driving experience and all mods declared, and mine was £960..
then at renewal time this year (feb) it went down to £670 (fully comp) and i'm still 22.

I wrote it off but the insurance company didnt take my no claims off me for some bizarre reason lol.

mines insured with Admiral. they hadnt heard of the car as it was in import so i described it to them and gave them full details, and they approved it. just like that. :) i think they were basing their quote around the s13 that they had heard of (which is obviously a LOT less power)

i agree with you as well about starting from fresh on the car, buying a standard one. as nice as everyones car is, its their own personal design. :)

on the price - they are available in the uk, you just need to look around a lot. i got mine end of 09 for £7,200 with haggling. it was in mint condition bar the wheels too :D

Last edited: