What's new

HICAS - what is it?

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I have the above on my car and from my understanding it helps with steering. Is this right and is it any good to have on the car?

Cheers, Keith

Reaction score
Country
It's the rear wheels that steer ever so slightly to assist the car turning.

If you are using it to drift, then it's better to uninstall it. Otherwise, it's alright to have it on the car.

Very few s15s have hicas. Urs must be special

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
From what I've heard, you're better taking it off full stop. Its very heavy and quite inferior compared to, say, the Honda 4WS setup.

Reaction score
Country
^^ I've read on it before and it seems the 4ws setup on the honda is pretty "fragile". A slight bump on the rear wheels against kerbs could do damage to the 4ws system.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Considering that the Japs love gadgets, you need to ask why so few opted to have HICAS fitted on their S15s... A search on nissansilvia.com or nissansilvia.co.nz should reveal a bit more.

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I've looked at the motor and arms to the rear wheels and it doesnt look that heavy, whats the most toe in and out it would do?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Couldn't tell you, I'm afraid. Its so rare that there's very little info on here. As I say, NS.com and NS.co.nz might have more info :)

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want and are happy with. Personally, I don't think the S15 needs it.

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I've decided that the hicas is a nuisance. I dont know how its supposed to work but with all this rain I have felt the back end step when going over deeper water.

I shall have a look at the sites nicely has recommended but if anyone knows if I can simply pull the fuse etc please let me know. I have a feeling that I would have to put something in place ofthe motor?

Ta, Keith

Reaction score
Country
Usually they remove the whole system or add a hicas canceller bar. Not sure the fuse thingie will work

Post it up on nissansilvia.com and ask about how they do it with the s13s. Should be the same I reckon

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
without getting technical i've heard that its a heavy, unnecessary piece of junk and is best taken off or look for a 15 without it in the first place.....

M

Matt_S

One thing I will say that Ive heard from UK owners of GTSt' etc that have been converted to MPH. The conversion plays havoc with the HICAS, as the HICAS operates like it would for 60kmh at 60 mph (for example) so the turn in and feel is/can be a bit weird to say the least! :wack: