What's new

How long have you left your S15 un-started for?

Reaction score
Country
My car has been off the road since the end of December now, I started it a few times but up to date its been about a month without being started and the battery is flat now.

How long can I safely leave the engine without starting it?

Will it be okay if I don't start it and it takes another 1-2 months before its done?

Best to turn it over by hand first?

:)

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
Um Since around the 15th Of August was the last time I started mine :wack: If it is the wee slim battery you have dude they are crap!
You probs wont be able to move the pully by hand dude its pritty tough :p

Reaction score
Country
Id say a good few weeks is fine. If you have left it a while, i'd say take the fuel pump fuse out, turn it over for a few seconds just to get the oil circulated again, then fire it up.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I have left mine for months in the past and it fired up straight away, the same as it would if left overnight.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
september was the last time i used mine. the battery i had on it was on a trickle charger but packed up anyway - they go for months un-started on the boat coming over so i wouldn't worry about it. if you ever do want to turn the engine over by hand, just take the plugs out and put a socket on the crank pulley nut. it turns easily without the plugs in to build up compression ;)

Jay

Reaction score
as above, the car will be fine started normaly. when mine is left for a couple weeks i allow it extra warm up time before driving, only thing i would advise caution on is the brakes. make sure they are working properly before you need to stamp on them!

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the info guys!

Yeh the slim battery is crap, I went to unlock it the other week with remote and nothing would happen :rotfl: even though the alarm light was still flashing...

Used key to open door and alarm went off for 1 second then died! I just hope when i charge the battery and put it back in that the alarm works as normal :|

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would take the battery off, charge it up and then leave it off... The worst thing you can do is leave the battery uncharged as it knackers the plates...

G

gunner93

If unuse over long period of time, I used to disconnect the negative terminal to save the bat from going flat. Now I have a cut-off switch. So much more convenient. :nod:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
:nod: I remove the negative terminal, although it has now knackered the connection :rolleyes:

Looked at getting a cut-off switch, think its something I will get.

E

empty_inside

Mine never has a problem starting after a month or so of sitting, but the brake pads rust on in that time as I have to leave it outside.
I also have the slim battery and it lasts all of 2 weeks without a charge. I always assumed my alarm was drawing a lot of current, glad to hear it happens to everyone. Anyone happen to know the specs of the "full size" battery and where I might get a strap (I have a metal bar fitted to the slim battery).

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Yeh brakes may be an issue, the calipers are know to cease, also tires if you are leaving it for a very long time on the ground, but as long as there is no cracks, or obvious damage to the tires, should be ok.