What's new

How To: Removing Scuttle panel & Window wipers for painting

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I had been meaning to do this for months after seeing the results C1TPT got doing his and figured I'd take some pics and do a very simple how to...

Step 1:
Remove the covers on the window wipers and undo the 14mm bolt, the wipers may be a bit reluctant but should come off with a little gently persuasion

Step 2:
The scuttle panel is held on with a visible clip beside the passenger wiper, a row of 4 clips on the underside beside the windscreen and 8 beside the engine bay.

Step 3:
My wipers were pretty bad but I gave the scuttle panel & the wipers a rub down with a very fine wet sanding block to prep them for my cheap paint which actually turned out ok!

Its too dark out there to get any decent complete pics but I will take some in the morning and post them up :D

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Maybe I should have reduced the image sizes even more!

Anyway, I did the rear aswell. Similar set up, remove the plastic cover, wet sand & paint.

You'll need a 10mm socket to remove the rear wiper.

And to anybody planning on removing the rear wiper assembly; you need a 23mm socket to remove the outer nut and whats looks like a 32mm grommet to block the hole in the glass, somebody who's done it may confirm? You will also need to remove the motor and pump but they're in the boot just below the wiper and should be very easy to relocate / remove.

The entire process is quite simple and quick, with the exception of having to wait for the paint to dry. If you have a garage or something where it can all properly dry on the car I'd say it could be done from start to finish in 3-4 hours (refitting when the paint is touch dry and leaving the car indoors to dry). Otherwise the time can be longer depending on the drying time of your chosen paint!

Please note;

The rear wiper was a bit harder to remove, be careful with it or you will ring the very slight thread around the top of the motor which may stop it from working....

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Good guide there Trial :) It's definatly worth doing too.

Moonface do a bung for the rear wiper hole. They reckon it's 30mm diameterand it's currently £22.75 delivered from RHD Japan.

Reaction score
Country
Nice writeup, ill have to have another go again at doing mine as my wipers seem stuck fast even with a fair bit of persuasion!

The Halfords satin paint works really well, i did my FTO and the paint lasted years without any scratches or chips :)

Reaction score
nice trial, did you have any paint left in the can after it, was thinking of doing it and my brothers front grille too

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Yeah I've a bit left after doing the front and rear. I've never sprayed anything before and it turned out ok, but not perfect. I knocked one of the wipers over while it was drying so I'm gonna have to sand it down and start again :( Maybe next weekend... I must go out and take a few snaps....

Not great pics but the battery went on my camera so they will have to do for now :(

Last edited:
S

StarletRick

i just did this on mine, as i had the same gay fading that your wipers had.

but while it was off, i also painted the scuttle panel itself in a nice gloss black.

it looks so much better now!

Jez, WD40 sorts those wipers right out. spray it on and leave it 5 mins then wiggle them up and down and they just come off pretty nicely!

Last edited:
Reaction score
good job

great job lad
love doing this type off work on my car
its mad how such small things makes difference
ill be doen this tomorow in satin black also
i rekon it looks sweet
gloss mite be too much

Reaction score
Looking good Trial!

Yeah you dont realise how much this smartens up the front end, and for only a couple of ££'s :thumbs: Satin looks really good in the flesh, would love to see some pics of gloss though!

S

StarletRick

the gloss looks good, it makes it look like youve just put some plastic shine or something on it.

ill get some decent pics up of it soon, ill be at JAE if anyone wants to have a nose at it.

biggest surprise was the amound of **** under that panel, it was literally full of old manky leaves and mud.

recon i shaved a kilo of weight off in mud alone! :p

subzero

Reaction score
This is why i love forums .... such a handy thread.

I think ive a leak getting into the car somewhere underneath the wipers . A relay for what i believe is for the ecu goes mad on rainy days . Hoping its a blocked drain or something .