What's new

Importing Type-S, then turboing it!

D

dragyth

Hi all,

I've got an S13 at the moment fitted with a hump-top sr20det.
I'm also in the process of importing an S15.

Basically...
I'm paying £2930 (+ shipping, tax, etc... but no auctioneer's fees) for a silver type-s with circa 130k kms on it, full aero kit, full electrics with guaranteed no accident damage.

Is this a decent price?
The car seemed competitively priced. Looks like it'll cost me bang on £5,000 on my drive. MOT'd, shipped, tax paid, full tank of petrol.

Where do I want to start with this car?
Coilys are too hard for me but I want the thing lower, and how easy would it be to do the SR20DET to S15 swap?
It came out of an S14, is now in an S13 and is going to go in an S15.

Cheers! :p

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I have the S14 SR engine in my S15 so its defiantly do-able. I didn't do the swap though and I'm not that technical, but someone will be along that knows more about it than me :)

Welcome to the club :)

D

dragyth

Thanks!
How was the power of the engine in the S15 chassis, did you put it in there standard?

I understand the S14 engine produces 197bhp, the S14 hump top gets 220bhp and the S15's one, with a nice T28r turbo should give 250bhp.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
The spec S wont have the extra strut braces, Spec R have a boot brace, a rear suspension strut brace and a front strut brace and some under races.

Buy a few braces for it and it will be fine :D

G

Giff

So are the SR20DE rods made out of swiss cheese? I know its 10:1 but why can't you simply bolt on a GT2560RS and run 9psi?

Reaction score
some of the internal bits of the S15 Spec-R engine are better too, ie better oil pump and oil pickup.

Reaction score
Country
So are the SR20DE rods made out of swiss cheese? I know its 10:1 but why can't you simply bolt on a GT2560RS and run 9psi?
There was a really good article written about this in Australian Hot4's mag
which said as long as you dont run over 10psi i should be ok.

quote from mag

"Running about 8 - 10psi will be the limit, keep in mind that the atmo engine has more aggressive cams then the turbo and will give a surprising amount of high end power.
Rule of thumb is to swap every sensor from the DET engine + obvious things ECU, airflow, injectors, fuel pump.
Spark advance will need to be considerably retarded over the factory turbo engine, due to higher compression being used. Also fuel mixtures will need to be richer, by around half to a full point, to cool the increase piston crown temperature as there are no oil squirters in the atmo."

Reaction score
the sr20det from spec-r have many diffrence to the sr20de.

- other camshafts
- other kind of ignition
- sr20de dont have piston-colling-nozzles in the block