What's new

Is it ok to rev S15 Spec S in neutral to 3000-4000rpm? (This was for testing)

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys,

Just a real quick one, had some issues with a scraping noise at the back of the S15 the other day, which I believe is now the brakes.

But for testing purposes, I put the car in neutral and revved up to just under 4000rpm as to make sure the noise was definetely when moving.

Is this ok to do once in a blue moon?

Regards

Ash

Mike

Reaction score
Country
I don't really understand the question? Is it ok to rev it? As long as it looked after,has oil and your neighbours are understanding you should be able to bounce it off the limiter until you run out of fuel or get bored. Whichever comes first.

Reaction score
Country
Sorry mate, I just wanted to really know whether it was ok to accelerate/rev to 4000rpm or 5000rpm in neutral.

Just been testing the S15 earlier and stayed at about 4000rpm for a few seconds before easing off, just wanted to check this was ok to do once in a while as peace of mind?

Reaction score
Sorry mate, I just wanted to really know whether it was ok to accelerate/rev to 4000rpm or 5000rpm in neutral.

Just been testing the S15 earlier and stayed at about 4000rpm for a few seconds before easing off, just wanted to check this was ok to do once in a while as peace of mind?
Rev the **** outta the car once a day til you sell it or it does., it won't hurt it... It has a rev limiter for a reason !!

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Yeah matey, give it some beans will be fine. Long as its warm and that.

Reaction score
Country
How to test your car : mash your right foot until you hear the engine limit bouncing then release your left foot and then start to turn the steering wheel from left to right and so forth, in the process you may have to lightly touch the brake with your left foot.
If you have just painted a wiggly 11 on the road then the test was successful.

Reaction score
Country
Reving the car in neutral isn't the best idea but won't do any damage as long as its only occasional with a warm engine and you don't sit there banging it off the limiter.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
How to test your car : mash your right foot until you hear the engine limit bouncing then release your left foot and then start to turn the steering wheel from left to right and so forth, in the process you may have to lightly touch the brake with your left foot.
If you have just painted a wiggly 11 on the road then the test was successful.
This! Ha!

We're a friendly forum lads I applaud the nice answers. I spend alot of time on civic owners where people go down in flames for this type of question! Not everyone is a mechanic.

We WILL not be one of those forums! :)

Reaction score
Country
I appreciate the answers guys. If I had posted this on SXOC no offence, but I would have been burnt from past experience lol.

It wasnt a random question either, I was just trying to find the source of my recent rear grinding noise after a tyre change.

Turns out it seems to be that the rear pads have completely worn off, hence the grinding at low and higher rpms.

Hopefully the new pads and discs will resolve this stupid grinding/scraping noise :(

Reaction score
Country
If you posted this on sxoc you'd have had a similar response but yes a few would of taken the micky, its called banter ;)

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yeah i get not everyone is a mechanic! but i was just hoping Logic would surely prevail. If you can rev your car to 4k under load, then revving it statically then would be safe.

Either way I'm glad you got it sorted.

Reaction score
Country
Lol cheers guys, I know it was probably a stupid question, but as Ive always been told, "If in doubt, just ask".

Anyway, yeah Ive got it booked in with Jez and Craig at Horsham developments for a full brake pad and brake disc upgrade.

Decided to go with Ultimax EBC Disks and Red Stuff Pads front/rear ;)

Funny thing to today, as I had a guy come round to touch up the paint on my alloys, who also turned out to be a mechanic at Mercedes for 10 years and he preety much said my rear brakes were f****d lol.

Reaction score
Country
There was a vauxhall "tuning" garage just down from the rx7 garage I worked at. His idea of mapping was to pull the car outside and have it banging off the limiter for about 5 mins, called all of his car flamespitters because he had purposely mapped them so rich. The guys a complete retard.

But on a serious not I make sure I hit the limiter atleast once when driving my car just to keep the engine healthy, like others have said the limiter is there for a reason.

Reaction score
For a bit of fun I would rev it to 4000rpm then put it into gear, you wont hear any brake noise, I guarantee it....;)

Reaction score
Country
I thought that was the only way to pull out of a junction?

Im sure mine wouldn't move If I drop the clutch at anything less than full boost?? ;)