What's new

My dyno results..

Reaction score
I got the car on the dyno today basically as a health check etc and to get a chart before i get a front mount and a remap.. here's the result....

Not exactly impressed with the figures maybe i have problems.... or maybe the dyno wasn't accurate :rotfl: or maybe this is a normal level of power on stock boost with a bit of creep?
Can any one comment on the graphs, any problems visible etc...

(the car has a 3 inch elbow, down pipe, decat and exhaust, with a s/s manifold and apexi pod filter)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Only one person took a real interest in my thread about my hub-dyno results... think everyone's scared of graphs lol :p

If you wanna compare against mine then here's the graphs... was done very recently:

Took it to a place where I trust their judgement since they build race cars and map with A'PEXi PFC all the time for other customers. I've only got induction and cat-back exhaust at the moment and my 15 read 245bhp - very happy with it but also just as importantly, I was told the curves are good, no boost spikes, no significant fuelling issues :)

Hopefully, someone on here can interpret your results as I'm no expert!!

J

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
173kw is pretty good if all you have is an exhaust, and filter with a tune. That is about what my mates S14 gets with the same mods, so I think that is about right.

I am no expert but, It seems the air / fuel ratio takes a big dive at around 4200rpm. I was always under the impression that about 12:1 gives you the best power.

@InitialD, your graphs look good. Nice smooth power there. More than enough to have fun ;) Hub dyno's are a lot more accurate, since you don't get any wheel slip.

One thing I can't understand is why to people bother to print out flywheel horsepower. To me that is a waste of time. The rear wheels is where the power is at.

Reaction score
Country
Maybe they didnt strap the car down properly. The last Dyno Dynamics RR me & DeanS15 used gave very erratic results. Mine maxed at 225 RWHP and over 285ftlb Torque which obviosuly was wrong (torque was right but missing just a bit of HP for 1.2 Bar! :wack:). Then the final run it went over 265 RWHP before nearly jumping off the rollers as the car hesitated and spun up like bonkers so the run had to be aborted. We put it down to my car but then Deans couldnt even hold the rollers at 3K RPM, they blamed clutch but then that was disproved after they drove the car themselves out on the roads.

I suspected the rollers werent setup right and they contacted Dyno Dynamics in Oz who confirmed the S15's needed to be held down in a specific way and it was a common mistake, havent had chance to go back and have it re-run yet though but i was happy as going by the torque figure the power output was pretty much spot on and fueling was fine with no det (excpet for a tiny amount at low end when changing gears which i supsect is when its over rich)

So maybe get the garage to contact Dyno Dynamics themselves and check they were doing everyong ok ?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If you car isn't straped down properly, it will have a major effect on your figures. That's why hub dyno's are much more accurate.

Reaction score
Country
Yeah, i supsected they put too much load on the car which is why the car struggled to spin the rollers up enough but the torque reading was still accurate. Also the diff kept locking up with 1 wheel catching grip and trying to shove the car sideways.

What gear should they be running it in as well as they did mine in 3rd which seemed a bit low for me as i thought you should always try and use the 1:1 ratio'd gear ?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
What gear should they be running it in as well as they did mine in 3rd which seemed a bit low for me as i thought you should always try and use the 1:1 ratio'd gear ?
Whenever I have had mine done, it was in 4th. Funnily enough, it was the same whenever I have had one of my bikes done.

Reaction score
I'm with Meddler, your AFR's are leaning out at higher RPM, which is not good

Here's a recent dyno of mine (277bhp)

Last edited:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, rub it in Phil. :(

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies :D

I emailed the sheet off to Jez at Horsam developments and he suspects a boost leak???

This confuses me as i still hit near 0.8bar, he also said i am running really rich around 4000rpm not lean haha so now i am extra confused!!

I read on here that its quite common for the wing mounted intercooler pipes to crack? so i am going to have a look later in that area.....

Any where else to check for leaks?

Thank :thumbs:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If it is running really rich at 4k, then it means we were reading the graph back to front.. Still, being that rich means that you are losing power as the fuel/air charge cannot ignite properly.

Anywhere where the pipes connect together are a good place to start for leaks.. check for loose clamps.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah my hotpipe to compressor hose was found to be loose recently so that needed sorting out. A fair bit of oil was getting around the clamps and making it slide??!! Worrying to say the least...