What's new

need some help with odd gauge issue...

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@kwalker88
Got some problems with some gauges iv fitted and was just wondering if anyone with electrical knowledge can give me some advice.

Heres a pic so you can see how there placed in the car, will help me explain it :)

From left to right (as you look at the pic) , temp, pressure, boost.

Fitted the gauges last weekend and drove home. They all worked fine. Wired into the the 12v power supply for the radio and the earth.

Went out the next morning, Oil P and Boost light up on start up. Temp doesn't. When side lights are on, (whether key is in ignition or not.) Temp lights up red and works correctly. With key out ignition, Its stays lit up and emits audiable alarm.
Removed the plugs and when reconnected it all works fine, continued to do so for 3/4 days.

Today, I pulled into Tesco, turned car off and left sidelights on. Came back and the temp gauge was lit up. Turned car on, issue came back, same as above.

I figured it was a loose connection again so just now removed all the wires from the back of the temp gauge, re-plugged them in and the temp now works fine.

The problem has moved to the oil pressure gauge so now when ignition is on temp and boost works, pressure doesn't. With lights on its glows red when others are white and work fine.

I'm completly lost on this, im assuming the wiring is fine as they worked correctly first off and then for several days this week. The plug connections on the back of the temperature gauge feel as though they do not connect/click in fully but appear to be pushed in plenty far enough, however i am not sure if this is the cause of the issue?

Anyone got any avice on where to go with this. Feel as though im banging my head on a brick wall :wallbang:

Reaction score
I fitted the same gauges about 3 weeks ago, autogauge steppers but just oil pressure and temp. After some head scratching myself i'd check your live connections and the LED colour cable are in securely (also to live), and as you say the connections on the back dont seem the best. Are they connected to a switched or permanent live? The gauges should be off when the ignition is switched off. The noise means low oil pressure, its annoying when trying to listen to music with the engine switched off! I think theres a way to disable it but my luck is id forget how to get it back for a track day

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@kwalker88
i think to turn the noise off you press and hold the button down during the start sequence. Let go once its done and it should turn it off iirc.

Will check all the connections tonight, pretty sure i'v buggered up somewhere along the line!