What's new

New Spec R Aero owner from Japan/USA.

Reaction score
Country
Hey S15OC,

My name's Jared and I live and work in Tokyo, Japan, but I'm originally from Knoxville, Tennessee, USA near the Great Smoky Mountains. I've always been interested in Japanese cars and remember my first look at the S15 chassis Nissan Silvia on a familiar game called Gran Turismo as a kid.

I've dabbled with a few cars before moving to Japan, the most notable being a few Datsun/Fairlady Zs (still own a 1970 back in the US and looking for a 70-72 for another ZG project) and a first-year Acura/Honda NSX.

When I got here, I ran through my head all the possibilities of what to buy. I ultimately want to end up in an R32 GTR to bring back to the US, but for the time being I started a search for a car I had truly wanted to own for a long time and ended up purchasing a 1999 Super Black Spec R Aero.

These are not the easiest cars to find, even in Japan, so finding a dead stock Spec R Aero in black was too tempting not to buy. Took it out for a spin and became hooked.

It's not a perfect car by any means. The paint is in pretty poor condition from salt spray being from Fukuoka and the western coastline, so a good detail is a must. The shift boot is tearing (and won't stay put in the tunnel), the passenger side panel is coming undone, my nav display won't pop up anymore (that was a cool party trick...and I was sad when it stopped doing it), there's an interesting clatter coming from the clutch/tranny area when I first put it in gear and pull out on startup, and there's some sort of bushing/steering column creak, but it's a fantastic, original car. I'm just a bit big for it.

The wheels will be the first thing to go and I'm thinking possibly LMGT4s or CE28s, but I'm open to other suggestions. Tons of different coilover options are available also. I'm glad to be here and can hopefully find some good info on how to alleviate some of the car's issues, but everything else about the car is stellar. Without further ado, my Spec R (don't kill me for the phone pics).

J

jcb0y

Are you in Yakota?! I noticed your Y plate but clean ride man! looks exactly like mine same rims and everything just mine is white hahaha

Reaction score
Country
Are you in Yakota?! I noticed your Y plate but clean ride man! looks exactly like mine same rims and everything just mine is white hahaha
Funny you mention that lol. That must have been the car you bought then. I traded Ruby the wheels for the stockers because I wanted it all original to start.

So yeah, I'm a Yokota guy. I think we were both at the dealer at the same time. I was with a buddy looking at a GTR.

Reaction score
Country
very nice,black s15's look awesome!

whats your plans?

oh and welcome!

Reaction score
Country
Hey usafdarkhorse!

How did I not notice this thread?
I also moved to Japan last year, but from Hawaii. I work on Yokosuka base. Very nice Black Spec-R! Did you go all the way out in person to Northern Kyushu to get it, then drove it all the way back to Yokota? :eek:

There are two other Spec R owners I know of in Yokosuka, one drives a white spec R and another a yellow spec R. All the rest are spec S's.
We should all meet up sometime!

I go to the TKclub drift practice events at the Fuji Speedway gymkhana course every month or two, so if you go there then we will probably meet too :)

Reaction score
Country
Hey usafdarkhorse!

How did I not notice this thread?
I also moved to Japan last year, but from Hawaii. I work on Yokosuka base. Very nice Black Spec-R! Did you go all the way out in person to Northern Kyushu to get it, then drove it all the way back to Yokota? :eek:

There are two other Spec R owners I know of in Yokosuka, one drives a white spec R and another a yellow spec R. All the rest are spec S's.
We should all meet up sometime!

I go to the TKclub drift practice events at the Fuji Speedway gymkhana course every month or two, so if you go there then we will probably meet too :)
The car was bought from auction and shipped up here. Would have been a crazy drive to go all the way out there.

Is this car now posted up for sale on the Yakota cars f/s?

It was. I sold the car about a week and a half ago to a gentleman at Zama.