What's new

Newbie from Kent

N

Nick

Hey...

Im Nick, and im planning on getting a new car...

Now its one or the other, a sexy Honda s2000 or the lovely s15 spec R...

Im looking at spending near the bottom of both price ranges which will be around 11k, so im hoping i can get a nice example for that, although I know it will be an early model...

I know that your all going to say s15, but can you see my problem...?? Being a Honda owner as it is anyway, selling a crx delsol at current, im having trouble deciding...

I know the s15 is faster and and has more torque... But the s2000 is a stunning car...

Thanks Nick

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Welcome to the S15OC :)
I think you might find the answers here a bit biased ;)

I say S15.
you can actually get a decent one for ?11k if you do the importing yourself.
You're on your own if it turns out to be bad though :(
An importcompany should be able to provide you with a OK one for 11k.
Just use a trusted BIMTA registered one.

I love my S15. Looks good and performs good too.

The Honda isn't bad. But V-tech just isn't my cup of tea ;)
I prefer turbo whooosh and pidgeons :D

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
welcome nick..I was once a Honda owner aswell i had a EK civic Vti aswell as dazzio from here aswell...
but we both choose the S15 and both white aswell but anyway the S15 is a great and fun car to drive and i have nothign bad to say about the car but just take ur time in looking and buy from the companys which we have listed...we have a buyers gudie somewhere about have a look there and u will find lots of information u need if u still cant find it and want some questions answered just let us know we are a happy lot if ppl and all will be willing to answer ur question as much as we can :wave:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Welcome :wave:

Don't make the assumption we'll all say S15. The S2000 is the ONLY other car I would really consider at the moment, apart from an S15. The handling, looks and engine are all fantastic.

The questions you need to be asking are:

Do I want the slightly more practical S15 or the open top?
Do you want to tweak it after you've got it?

Looks-wise, the s15 is going to turn more heads, due to no-one knowing what it is. In the UK, it is far rarer than some models of Ferarri...

Tuning-wise, they isn't a vast amount of thing you can do to a VTEC engine, I believe (though I may be wrong :p ). The S15 comes with 250bhp, but can be tuned up to 320 without too much drama. It can also be made to handle just as well as the S2000.

The downside with the S15 is that its import only, which means many tuning and standard parts are Japan only. Saying that, the mechanicals are very similar to the S14 and, therefore, parts are interchangable.

For me, I'd go for the S15 if given the choice. The turbo, rarity and looks win it for me.

N

Nick

Nicely said:
Welcome :wave:

Don't make the assumption we'll all say S15. The S2000 is the ONLY other car I would really consider at the moment, apart from an S15. The handling, looks and engine are all fantastic.

The questions you need to be asking are:

Do I want the slightly more practical S15 or the open top?
Do you want to tweak it after you've got it?

Looks-wise, the s15 is going to turn more heads, due to no-one knowing what it is. In the UK, it is far rarer than some models of Ferarri...

Tuning-wise, they isn't a vast amount of thing you can do to a VTEC engine, I believe (though I may be wrong :p ). The S15 comes with 250bhp, but can be tuned up to 320 without too much drama. It can also be made to handle just as well as the S2000.

The downside with the S15 is that its import only, which means many tuning and standard parts are Japan only. Saying that, the mechanicals are very similar to the S14 and, therefore, parts are interchangable.

For me, I'd go for the S15 if given the choice. The turbo, rarity and looks win it for me.

Yes exaclty... you see tuning the s2000 is difficult... And i like all the 'Real' brand stuff like mugen etc...

Their airfilter for example to buy over her i the UK is i think in excess of ?1000...!! But is stunning and full carbon fibre...

The only way to get decent power is through a vortech supercharger...

But i love the idea of easy power out of a turbo... Not to mention probably 100lb more torque... And thats whats drawing me towards the s15... And there are more seats, and ill probably fit in better...

Personally i think that whichever one i go for i will be dissapointed in not getting the other...

Does anybody kow of an Import garage caleed ProDrift UK...?? Its just round the corner from me, so im gonna have a look at a couple s15's now...

Nick

N

Nick

Well ive spoke to the guy down there, and they seem decent... And hes seen my post on here...

'its nick isnt it...?'

'Er... yes...!'

Anyway im having a look next week... ;) Oh one other thing...

Is high milage ok...?? can the engines handle milage, im not looking for one with really high milage but do things start goin funny after a certain amount...??

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The SR20 is quite sturdy.
What mileage are we taking about?
If it's pretty stock you will probobly be fine.

I kinda regret that I payed the extra fortune for a low mileage S15 when a higher mileage one would do the job just as good.

I'm trying to correct that mistake now ;)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The engines are rpety solid as long as they have been looked after, but with being an import you have no way of ever knowing the life of the car, unless it was imported with service documents.

I would ask for a copy of the auction sheet when buying a car, the grade and various other things are marked on it and are a good gauge for the quality of the car, i.e. if its been crashed etc.

Hello and welcome by the way :wave: Happy hunting

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You really want to try to get a good one over that price. We usually say that ?12k is the base level to be looking at...

Reaction score
can't be bothered to read all the above... but... as ming said, i used to be a honda owner before my S15.... and i can honestly say, i don't regret buying the S15 over the civic, or another honda. DC5 was my line of thought, but....again, i think i made the right choice! :D

anyhow, welcome, and good luck with your decision! :D

N

Nick

Well im heading towards s15 at the moment, as i want some of that turbo stuff... ;)

then if it dont feel right, i can always change... but im sure it will be great...

Just gotta go see one next week... and get the buyer for my car to hurry up... :rolleyes:

Nick

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
its good that ur looking at one in real life as me and topper both brought ours with a blind eye just by looking at some pictures....which is a mistake i would say....but most ppl that looking to buy a S15 in uk are more lucky now as we have this forum to help ppl look and and let them know where and what to look out for hope u find ur self a good one but dont get one of them normal silver ones :D

Reaction score
with you being in kent also... i'd recommend going to see charlie at pro-drift.... he's only 5min' from abbey motorsport.... i believe he's got a couple back with him now from SVA.... mine came from him, and can't fault it!

went down, test drove, left a deposit, sorted the rest of the cash whilst waiting for UK reg' plate and MOT... then delivered the nearest weekend! :) been smiling ever since! :D

N

Nick

Yeah i have already been in contact with him...

Going on monday i think, as he has one in my price range...