What's new

Noise upon first clutch release

Reaction score
Country
Hey S15OC

I've mulled through a few threads on this issue, namely these:

http://forum.s15oc.com/threads/2825-Strange-Noise?highlight=clutch+rattle
http://forum.s15oc.com/threads/6258-Noise-when-selecting-gear?highlight=clutch+rattle

and I'm not entirely sure of what's going on because the threads have not gotten much traffic.

Background info: Dead stock 1999 Silvia Spec R 6 speed w/ 119k km.

When I start my car cold, upon putting the car in gear and giving it gas while releasing the clutch, there's a pronounced clatter for about a half second and the car never does it again until it sits for awhile and the process repeats. It sounds like a metallic card in bicycle spokes.

Doesn't sound like VVT rattle as I can sit and give it light revs all day after starting up and it never makes a sound. It's only when the car is in gear with the clutch depressed and engaging with light throttle does it rear its ugly head, so it must be a drivetrain problem.

Alot of Nissans have input shaft bearing issues and this may not be an exception with the sound coming as the clutch is engaging. It hasn't caused any sort of different feel in shifting or clutch actuation, so right now I'm just riding it out to see if something propagates. It does sound annoying and occasionally embarrassing.

Has anyone else here experienced these symptoms recently? :annoyed:

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be thrust bearing when it makes contact with the pressure plate. Might be time to replace clutch.

Reaction score
Country
just to clarify is the noise as your clutch is clamping or is it after clamping and then you apply the gas more. try lifting your foot slowly without pressing the gas, if the noise is still happens and only then it will be your thrust bearing, if its after you have clamped and then press the gas look more at your input shaft bearing. 90% sure it will be the first idea though as this is rather common, i have had it in both my S15s.

release bearing part number 30502-69F10 (Koyo = genuine Nissan)

Reaction score
Country
I also have a 1999 spec R with a stock clutch, and I have the EXACT same problem! It only happens when first engaging the clutch, the rest of the drive is just fine. Mine rattles loudly for more than half a second though, it will keep rattling until I give it over about 3000rpm. Then it won't come back until I stop, park, turn the car off, and leave it there for a few hours before driving again. It won't do it if I stop, turn off the car, the soon after turn it on and set off again.

We should meet up sometime and compare noises, lol

Reaction score
Country
Same problem here too, it appeares only after engine is hot and then stopping for a few hours. Lets see if it goes away after i change the clutch at some point... Have you guys figured it out yet?