What's new

OE Steering wheel

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
I'm looking to update my interior a bit, and one of the things I plan to do is repaint the grey plastics a bit brighter, including the inserts in the steering wheel (which have partly rubbed off anyway).

Is there an easy way to get them off or do I need to remove the wheel to do so? If removing the wheel I presume it's a case of whipping off the two covers, getting the airbag off then getting the wheel itself off. Mind you, if the inserts can be removed with only the air bag needing taking off then that's a bonus too :nod:

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
S'okay, found out for myself. Needed a T30 security Torx socket to undo the two bolts holding the air bag in place, then pull that forward sufficiently to get a screwdriver in and pop the push fittings allowing the trim to come out. Job done :)

D

Dizz

I have a stupid rattle from in behind mine so now I know how to get it off I'll give it a go later. Thanks :D

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I had a rattley steering wheel, and fixed it by adjusting the airbag/horn so it cleared the framework of the wheel. Its easy when you have a look at it.

I've also painted the bits your talking about mook on the steering wheel. Rover slate grey is a perfect colour if your after the same as stock! Thought about CF'ing them, but I think the OE colour goes well with the rest of the interior (silvia badge on wheel especially)

:)

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Dizz > You're welcome mate!

Craig > Aye, thought carbon too but probably going to be too expensive and wanted to use some brighter colours on the black wheel.

Going for a lighter silver now, picked out Aston Martin Malvern silver as it's not 'too' silver but still lighter than stock. Changing the gearknob for a brushed ali one so the lighter colour will go well with that.

Anyone know how to get the air vents out? I know you do if you've got gauges in there ;)