What's new

Oil Catch Tank Drain Plug

Reaction score
Country
This weekend I am going to plumb in my oil catch tank however I want to make it open loop. Does anyone know if there is an oil return lug in the block or sump of the sr20's for the OCC to drain into and if so where is it located? I dont like the idea of running a closed loop setup as I dont fancy running the risk of taking the oil out of the engine

thanks in advance

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I wouldn't bother. The amount of oil your catch can should collect is very small. Technically, you shouldn't get any at all. If you car collecting that amount of oil, you have a problem.

Reaction score
Country
It won't catch a lot dude mainly a vapor that comes out with the air you won't loose any oil I wouldn't think. On drift car I run it straight to a relentless can and don't get much in it unless I'm constantly on lock and its throwing it that way

Reaction score
Country
i know it shouldn't fill up but ive seen it when it does and spews it everywhere. i'd much rather route it back to the block just for peace of mind and it saves having to empty it out all the time

Reaction score
Country
anyone know where an oil return lug to the block is located? come on peeps someone must know please

Reaction score
Country
There's no oil return there's a crank breather but if its owt like ca18 its a ball ache to get to

Reaction score
Country
Problem with that is is that the pipe will be under pressure and I don't really wanna be messing about with the oil feed to or from the turbo

Reaction score
Country
http://forum.diyefi.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=357

found this which was actually a rather helpful link. there is no mention of returning the oil to the sump but since all the oil collected returns to the sump in the OEM setup I still think it needs to be done. it does however give a good description of how the crank case vacuum works and why its important and all that jazz. many of you will probably already know its good for the newbies among us!

and the plus side is that they both talk about the SR20's :)

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Don't link the catch can drain into your sump. What you'll find is a mix of oil water in the catch can and you do not want that entering your sump. I drained one yesterday and most of it was water. And that goes for most of them I've ever drained on scoobies and my old S13 Ca.

Just run a pipe to the back of the car to let it drain onto the road. Or just collect it and empty it regularly.

Reaction score
Country
oh really? definitely don't want that in the engine. So i guess all the stuff i read about plumbing one in as an open loop is actually very bad despite being less maintenance. cheers sam

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Open loop is fine but not back into the engine, I would probably call it a closed loop system if your keeping it in the engine. Open loop to me would be when venting to atmosphere.
•one way to keep it closed loop and still keep the intake clean, is link a catch can into the breather pipe that runs to the intake pipe. It then allows the gases to condense into liquid in the catch can and then drop to the bottom of the catch can, this way keeps a vacuum from the intake pipe which helps draw the gases out of the rocker cover. 2 things you would need are, a wire wool type material in the catch can though so it traps the gases, and a one way valve/check valve on the pipe to the intake (after the catch can) to stop any air being pushed into the catch can.

•or the other way is just run the breather pipes to the catch can and vent it to atmosphere. This way on a drift or race car. Road car probably the other way.

Reaction score
Country
I'm gonna vent to atmosphere that way I can guarantee the intake won't get covered in oil. I'm going to leave the pcv running into the throttle body and only link the can to the other breather pipes as the can is only really needed on WOT as the oem setup seems to be ok for normal driving

Reaction score
Country
Just collecting together anodised fittings for the braided hose to the can. Its late and I cant be arsed to go outside but does anyone know how the OEM cam cover pipes attach to the cam cover. I know there is i kind of junilee/clamp clip thing but does anyone know if the fitting that is in the cam cover (the male bit) unscrews or is it acually part of the cam cover itself.

basically i want to use these but will need a male to male adapter to attach to the engine:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360647955037?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN10-STRA...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ceeb366c6