What's new

Opinions on turbos

Reaction score
Country
Since my turbo is crapping itself, I'll be needing to get a new one soon. I'm not sure when I'll be making my purchase. Of course the longer I wait, the more I'll be able to spend. I was thinking about just rebuilding mine, but since I don't know what brand of turbo it is, I may be spending more on rebuilding it then what it would have actually cost new. Below are the turbos that I've been looking at the most. I'm looking to go about 350-400hp. I'd also not like to push the turbo to its limits to reach those numbers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370734184025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370706462909?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200824731189?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360491107981?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm leaning towards one of the Tomei's. There aren't many reviews on these turbos. The few that I've found for the Tomei have been split. Some love them, some have issues with the internal wastegate. The other 2 I haven't been able to find much on. Anyone have any experience with any of these turbos? I'd like to know what your thoughts on them were.

If you have any suggestions on other turbos, let me know. I know everyone loves Garrett's, but I'd like to see what else there is out there. My budget won't be extremely too high. The highest would be what the Tomei is asking for, and that may be stretching it for me.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
I have the HKS GT RS turbo, extremely love it!!! the way it pulls is crazy just doesn't want to stop keeps going in all gears and i am only running standard boost so god knows what it will feel like when mapped to 1.2bar.

Reaction score
Country
I'm running the kinugawa td05-18g. Mine has been mapped at 351bhp and 380ft torque. Even though it's a cheapo I do drift days and drive the car hard and has been fine. The higher the price doesn't always mean there better IMO

Reaction score
Country
I was looking at the Kinugawa's. I've read some decent reviews on them. I was just worried about the build quality on them.

Reaction score
Country
Mines alright and mitto was running the same in his 15 which was running 375bhp if I remember right, which is still going strong now. I guess it just depends who you trust :)

If you get one and the quality isn't great its not my fault though :p

Reaction score
If your looking at 350 to 400bhp with out ringing its neck I would go the Garrett GT30721R. The 2871R will be right on it's limit as you push towads 400bhp.

The Precision Turbos are very good value, quite a few guys I know who are rebuilding the engines are putting Pecisions on. I'd look at the 5128.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
After reviewing finances and talking it over with the wife, I have been given the OK to spend around $800-$900 (US) max. It's not a lot of money in terms of what a good turbo goes for, but it's a lot of money for me to spending right now. I think I'm going to go with the Precision turbo. Looking at the 5857 model. I'm talking to a couple different sellers and seeing what the best value I can get. It also looks to be a journal bearing turbo. I've read some mixed reviews, but the majority have been positive reviews on Precision's journal bearing turbos.

If there are any more inputs about turbos, most notably in my price range, please let me know. I should be making my purchase in the next day or so.