What's new

Possible new belts needed? Video included

Reaction score
Country
Just wanted to check as im pretty certain I need new belts but just wanted to make sure.

The 'airy' noise you can here, would you say that is the belts? I would of thought if the belts were slipping even a tiny amount then it would be more of a squeeky noise?

When I am parked up it sounds like an air leek or something but its not because ive checked and the noise is coming from the belt area.

The noise is much louder or more annoying in person!

SR20DET S15 Engine noise - YouTube

Any advice would be helpful :thumbs:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Have you tried spraying a little water on each pulley to see if the noise dissappears? Normally if it does it's the associated belt, if none of them work then it could be the viscous coupling on the fan... Normally a tensioner starts to squeak or squeal a little when it's on its way out. If you can't get it to stop and can't narrow down where it's coming from the next thing is try is removing each belt individually and running the engine. This way you can also rule out the pas pump, alternator, ac pump and water pump one at a time. Hope the suggestions are useful ;)

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
did you ever get this sorted, kinda interested since I think i got a similar noise coming from that area. hoping its an easy fix otherwise im gonna go mad an want to strip the engine down

Reaction score
Country
Nah it hasnt been as bad recently!

When I get round to servicing it ill check see if all the pullys are tight and if they are then may just get new ones :nod:

Just try Deans method above ;)

Reaction score
Country
Just push your finger onto each of the belts and if theres heaps of movement, see the S15 manual for how much movement is too much. I tighten mine by feel to about 10mm of movement being tight enough. Tighten the pulley or alternator or power steering or what evers loose, or check them for wear and replace them if they look worn, its not a big job really.
they just spray them with belt anti squeal if you are still unsure.