What's new

Radio/climate control not holding memory and chime/ dome light not turning on..

Q

quicsilvia

Hey all, I'm having some electrical issues with a 99' Spec R and not too sure of the cause. When the ignition is switched on I will get a buzzing noise from the kick panel which I'm assuming is a relay which I'm not sure is relevant to the following issues. 1. When the door is opened and key in the ignition the typical chime isn't heard and the dome light isn't turning on(switch set on the middle setting) and 2. The radio settings, A/C control settings and clock on the cluster will not retain memory. I know all of those get constant power so obviously they are not when the ignition is switched off. My question is what is the cause of this, relay, some sort or control unit ect.??

Reaction score
Country
Hi mate have you had any luck with the car problems yet, you properly know more than i do bout this hole thing but the only to things i can think of it being is ether a earth wire because that can be the cause of alot of elec problems, or what bout a memory wire, to be honest mate i don't think it ether because of the complexity of the problems, but iam going to look about on the net and see what i can find with the problems your having

Q

quicsilvia

I haven't had any luck just yet. I've briefly looked over the car and swapped out clusters and his cluster works in my Silvia, chime, clock.. so I've ruled out that. As for grounds/earth I haven't checked yet. I will try that next and and inspect every inch of the wiring harness. If you find something that points me in the right direction that would be awesome. I'm sure I can find the issue but I guess I'm just hoping someone can shorten my search. I really appreciate the help sir!!

Reaction score
Country
gutted..... electrical issues suck more then anything. check the door switch alot of people cut the wires to stop the chime. The buzzing is prob what you said a relay slowly melting, if you have a piece of hose, put one end in your ear and then move the other end around over where the buzzing sound is coming from until you can pinpoint the exact location of the noise. Much quicker the I O testing with a multimeter which also sucks. The radio thing is prob some noob trying wire up stuff

Reaction score
I would seriously look at some earthing issue as being the source. Have you put in a grounding kit? I would check the door activated light switch, take the rubber boot off and check for corrosion.

Q

quicsilvia

The radio is aftermarket but there was no cutting, I used a plug and play harness. Ill check out the door switch and see if that cuts down on the multiple issues occurring along with grounds. I havent put in a ground kit.

Reaction score
Country
Hi mate iam struggling to to find any story's of anyone ever having problems how you are with your car, sorry i cant be of much help