What's new

Reccomendations wanted...

DeviouS15

Reaction score
Country
Hey everyone,
Ive been buying a few parts for my Silvia lately, im aiming at a reliable 220kW.

These are the bits ive bought already...

- Genuine Z32 AFM
- HKS EVC-S Boost Controller
- Deatschwerks 550cc injectors
- Deatschwerks 255 lph feul pump
- Apexi filter and intake kit (includes a hard pipe to turbo)
- Megan Racing tubular s/s exhaust manifold (got my eyes on a Tomei Expreme at the moment)
- And a Kinugawa TD05-18g turbo

Car already has a 3 inch turbo back exhaust system, front mount intercooler, HKS SSQV thats plumbed back in, and a Xtreme Heavy Duty Clutch and Chromoly Flywheel. So im really just wanting to know whether you guys think there is anything else big or small that i should be considering buying/doing/checking before everything gets installed and tuned?
Thanks in advance and you're more than welcome to critique my choice of parts :)

DeviouS15

Reaction score
Country
Ah yeah ive already got them too. What about Rocker Arm Stoppers? There seems to be quite a debate on whether they are necessary.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Not a necessity but if your going to be bashing the rev limiter alot its always worth alittle extra protection. Especially for £70 plus 2-3hours work!

Reaction score
Country
With that turbo set up your injectors will be limiting your power. Personally i'd sell those on and go for some Nismo/tomei/sard 740cc. They will allow you to run more bhp and the spray pattern is better iirc :)

Rocker arm stoppers aren't really needed but will add a little piece of mind :) You could look at fitting tomei poncams at the same time although this would effect spool up time which I don't think is brilliant on that turbo anyway.

DeviouS15

Reaction score
Country
Alrighty, will most likely get some rocker arm stoppers aswell just for the peace of mind. Forgot to add another thing i put on was a 60mm TB from a SR20de. Yeah ive been thinking more and more about the injectors possibly being a bit on the small side, but it seems a few other people manage to get 350hp/260kW out of their 550's but id imagine the duty cycle would be getting pretty high. The company that'll be doing the tuning are happy with the 550's, and have even stated that with a 2871r turb they think 270kW is possible.

Reaction score
Country
Its possible but that would be maxing them out. The turbo you have should be capable of over 400bhp but then you'll really have to worry about stock internals and the gearbox.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It would be a good idea to swap out your fuel filter for a z32 one. Same in and out hoses, same place, just bigger.
Do you know who makes your intercooler? JDM quality all the way.

Last thing, bigger brakes!!

Sent from my SM-T315 using Tapatalk

DeviouS15

Reaction score
Country
Well fingers crossed that the injectors will be alright lol. Yeah i dont think ill have any issues with the turbo, it'll lack the top end punch that the gt2871r but it should spool a little bit quicker which is really what im after. Ah ok ill have to look into the Z32 fuel filter, sounds like a good idea. The intercooler is made by Hybrid Development International (HDi) http://www.hybrid-power.com/ which is an Australian company. I think they are fairly popular in NZ and Ozzy. Ive never had any problems with mine, build quality is great. Would love to compare the before and after temps and see how efficient it is.
Brakes have been on my mind since the first day i got the car, ive always thought they probably werent as good as they should be for a pretty quick car.

Reaction score
Country
I went for skyline brakes/discs all round (R33/R34), not much of a upgrade when you compare to aftermarket options but with the 2pot rear and good pads it was a very noticeable going from the stock cast iron fronts to slightly larger alloy with larger dics and with the smaller S15 rear disk and non vented singles being thrown away, braking power was well up considering the low cost of the setup.

DeviouS15

Reaction score
Country
Definitely considering that Spoonman, i quite often see that sort of stuff come up on trademe for pretty reasonable prices. I think its time i did a bit of research on this subject, but one question did you change the master cylinder aswell?

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That is the one!

Sounds like I did the same swap more or less as Spoonman. I figure the BMC needs changing as it is now trying to operate 4 pots at the back rather than two, so if you left the old one in you may be loosing rear braking force!
There are alot of different skyline front brake options. I used the BMC that matched my front disc diameter as they all vary brake bias, I.e. you need to know what car exactly your BMC came from as the part number of the BMC only tells you the piston diameter, you have to dig very deep for brake bias info online, so try and keep a whole setup where possible.

Reaction score
I'm with Chris on the injectors, they will be maxing out in the top end with that turbo and you will find you risk leaning your AFR's once you get up around the 6 thou RPM. If you keep the boost down you should be ok, but then you are not tunning it to its full potential.
740's will be a safer option

DeviouS15

Reaction score
Country
Ill be keeping my eyes peeled for a R33 or R34 thats wrecking, then just get all the bits i need of the one car. You can bet your bottom dollar there will be another Skyline ending up in a ditch every week here in NZ lol. Yeesh im really worried about my injectors now, surely the tuner wouldnt reccommend 550's if it was going to limit the cars performance. They have done alot of Nissan builds... even 800hp SR20's... apparently.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Make sure you keep hold of the bolts that bolt the front calipers on to the skyline, they are a litte different from the S15 ones. R32s are suitable too!

Reaction score
Country
Definitely considering that Spoonman, i quite often see that sort of stuff come up on trademe for pretty reasonable prices. I think its time i did a bit of research on this subject, but one question did you change the master cylinder aswell?
I did change the master..... i pulled the BM50 from the S15 and the R34 apart.... laid them out side by side on the bench they are exactly the same inside.. unless spring tension or something like that but that just a guess.... only the booster is different from what i can tell, but there is something in the back of my mind that tells me there must be a difference

Last edited:

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
There must be some tiny bias valve (non adjustable) but that is probably it