What's new

Reduce turbo lag or get a smaller turbo?

Reaction score
Country
I've got my S15 up for sale and have had some viewings. The downfall so far is the turbo lag. I currently have a PTE 5858SP which going off what I've read online falls between a GT3076R and a GT3582R in the Garrett family. The boost doesn't kick in till about 4k rpms. Everyone that's driven it has been dissapointed that it takes so long to kick in, but once it does kick in, it pulls hard.

Would a good tuning/map job help in dropping down the lag, or would it be best to sell/trade this turbo for a smaller one that kicks in quicker? Anyone have any recommendations on a turbo? Thanks.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
has it been mapped to began with? I'm not that technical but I have a big T3 top mount turbo and the lag can be big if in the wrong gear, but when it kicks in all hell breaks lose which I love, but keep it in the range and it pull quick and hard.

I think I'm saying if you get yours properly mapped to unleash the pontial in that turbo it would put more smiles on faces, in my opinion.

Reaction score
Country
No map has been done on it. I was planning on getting the map done by the summer, but with things popping up, I'm in the need to sell the car.

Reaction score
Country
The car has been mapped previously, but not since I've fitted the new turbo. I don't drive it much, but when I do drive it, I don't bash on it so it won't "**** itself".

Reaction score
Country
dude list what cams/ intake manifold/ inter cooler size and piping size, exhaust manifold, boost controller you are running with this turbo

and what size exhaust housing... cant be fagged looking it up