What's new

Remap and maximum output

Reaction score
I've tried doing a bit of a search on remap info but struggling to find much although it sounds like its quite important on the S15.

If the car is always run on 99RON V-Power is it absolutely necessary and also... I know they use 100RON in japland and this may sound silly but will it actually increase the cars output over the standard 250BHP/100RON figures if its mapped on 99RON, I know that sounds like a complete contradiction with a reduction in RON but I know they can often squeeze a little more from the engines while retaining reliability.

As it stands the car runs a FMIC with a hardpipe kit, induction kit, 3" turbo elbow and downpipe, decat pipe, HKS cat back system and a HKS adjustable actuator. It's running at 1.0-1.1 bar boost. What is the actual potential of this car with the standard GT28R BB turbo?

Ie.

Is it worth mapping?
Will a map increase the output?
What boost is safe/recommended to run at?
Is there REALLY any point in me fitting 555cc injectors or a Z32AFM with these mods if I dont intend to do more?
And with mods and boost pressures as recommended... what outputs would you expect to see?

Cheers guys :)

Reaction score
Country
The main purpose of a remap is to adjust the areas the fuel leans out (and possibly runs too rich). This is normaly in mid-high range of the revs. The higher the boost you run over standard then the higher the leaning in the fueling and more chance of detonation. So basically the remap is to adjust the fuelling with the mods you have, whether this be boost increase, cams etc. Its the mods that increase the power either by better flow , boost increase, cam profiles etc and the remap makes sure the fuelling is correctly adjusted to cope.

Without a remap its probably best not to run higher than 0.8 Bar imo

So yes - Id thoroughly reccomend a remap. Id strongly reccommend an uprated fuel pump if not already and probably injectors as youd be almost maxing them out at the 300-330BHP mark. With that it might be worth fitting a better manifold and then mapped to handle the boost at 1.2 Bar which is the optimum output for the GT28R.

The max power you might see on the standard GT28R running at 1.2 Bar is probably 320-360BHP(crank) depending on wether you go cams etc.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
^^pretty much sums it up mate:thumbs:

id agree and say go injectors and z32afm, and definitely plugs and an uprated fuel pump if you havent already - very important as the stocker is meant to be crap. manifold is not a necessity but may be of benefit. As you will want to fit braided turbo oil and water feeds to reduce the chances of cracking and leaks, that would be an ideal time to swap this out. factory re-circ valve will need swapping out probably at 1.2 bar for best results and an ebc will do the best job of keeping boost levels under control. remap it then and youre good to go (but maxed out on the t28bb). a fair few people are seeing 350bhp from the t28bb but its life will be reduced:nod:

on a side not also, i think that you can have the car remapped for whichever grade fuel you wish to use. i think the irish guys dont have access to better fuel iirc and have thier cars mapped to 95, but obviously once mapped to your fuel of choice you will have to continue to use that grade or risk det. i would think that running 95 would definitely restrict the level of power you can safely run without detting due to being a lower octane.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cheers for the help guys, the car does have a walbro 255 fuel pump so I'm covered there. As far as I'm aware the AFM and injectors are standard but I was thinking that if I'm sticking with the current mods for a while that the standard setup should suffice because I'd assume the power output is below the threshold... I've seen very vague figures in regards to what their maximum capacity is but these seem to vary from what I hear place to place and with no intentions to increase power I don't know if it would be a case of over engineering just for the sake of it if I was to blow hundreds on injectors and an AFM... If they ARE required then fair enough but I'm hoping to keep the bills down where possible. By no means do I want to cut corners but if its not NEEDED I'd like to steer clear for the time being. It's been a heavy month on my bank account and times are hard so I want to chill out a little!

So in short, the map is advantageous not for power reasons but for engine safety and longetivity...

Would I see a better fuel returns in normal driving and what kind of price would you expect to pay for a map on one of these?
Can you guys recommend anyone in the northwest?

Boost-wise you think 1.2 bar is the figure to aim for?

Is there anything else I've maybe overlooked? Thanks peeps :)

W

WATDA

Everything said is what i would recommend. Im running 1.2 bar with bigger injectors and z32 afm with bolt on bits remapped and running well. Only thing with the t28 is you run out of puff above 6000rpm

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the help guys, the car does have a walbro 255 fuel pump so I'm covered there. As far as I'm aware the AFM and injectors are standard but I was thinking that if I'm sticking with the current mods for a while that the standard setup should suffice because I'd assume the power output is below the threshold... I've seen very vague figures in regards to what their maximum capacity is but these seem to vary from what I hear place to place and with no intentions to increase power I don't know if it would be a case of over engineering just for the sake of it if I was to blow hundreds on injectors and an AFM... If they ARE required then fair enough but I'm hoping to keep the bills down where possible. By no means do I want to cut corners but if its not NEEDED I'd like to steer clear for the time being. It's been a heavy month on my bank account and times are hard so I want to chill out a little!

So in short, the map is advantageous not for power reasons but for engine safety and longetivity...

Would I see a better fuel returns in normal driving and what kind of price would you expect to pay for a map on one of these?
Can you guys recommend anyone in the northwest?

Boost-wise you think 1.2 bar is the figure to aim for?

Is there anything else I've maybe overlooked? Thanks peeps :)
@1.2 bar, (according to research i did for my car) your turbo will be maxxed out, the afm will start to not flow enough air and the injectors are at a very high duty. this is why people only go to 1.2 bar on the standard setup. one thing i will say, is though my own car had its own minor timing issue, when i had fitted an exhaust system and filter, the boost level naturally crept to around 1 bar. because the air and fuel ratio had not been set and the car not mapped properly, the car was detonating quite badly on a rolling road. this is why people have thier cars remapped as a matter of course. fuel economy can be improved by a good map as the engine should be fuelling much more efficiently.

you wont hear detonation without cans more than likely, but if you are running a hks actuator set to 1.1 bar on the standard setup with no mapping i wouldnt mind betting that when pushed the car dets.....

the reason people say you need these things as ive learnt, is because they will alow you to run 1.2 bar as safely as possible without anything being on its absolute limit. you need enough air, enough fuel and in the correct quantities to keep everything sweet and this is why the mapping is so critical.

mapping can be carried out by horsham developments (who i personally and many others would very highly recommend) or a few others across the uk. on the s15 you dont need an aftermarket ecu unless you are running silly power, they can remap the standard ecu and it copes perfectly fine for a price of approximately 400.00. now you can see that because its quite an exspensive thing to have done, its definitely worthwhile having all the stuff you want done before mapping as for instance an injector or afm change afterwards would require a whole new map which is another few hundred quid so decide on the level you want to reach, get the bits together and then have it mapped. :)

if you had all the above done, along with an ebc, the boost level could be raised to 1.2 bar and your car would be transformed. the standard 250bhp would rise to over the 300hp mark and the car would feel ever so quick compared to standard. but i warn you, once youve done this stage it could be very easy to become addicted to more power and then youre on the slippery slope to poverty like me:rotfl:

Reaction score
How much would you expect to pay for the Z32 AFM and injectors? Are there any particular injectors to opt for and should I look solely at new or potentially used parts? Cheers for the help guys :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
you can go new or used, if used try and get them from a trusted person/outlet. used z32 afms with the wiring plug go from 100.00 up, make sure the mesh isnt completely mashed up. secondhand injectors can be had for a couple of hundred quid for nismo 555cc's or 740'ss. if 740's come up id go for them as they will pretty much take whatever you want to throw at them within reason and be future mod proof. your best bet would be to scan the sxoc and buy from a member, sometimes non members are messers, but these things are always coming up for sale on there.

if you have a look at this page here:
http://horshamdev.primateserver.com...id=73&osCsid=30ab1184f837bf39d8246c23f485adf3
it has some useful info about it. i travel well over 100 miles to get jez to work on my car because of his reputation. if i had to, i would travel further as i know that he knows these cars upside down inside out. :)

Reaction score
Sorry for the hundred questions... Are the injectors and AFM just plug and play? Are there any changes to the wiring harness? And whats the easiest way to check what my car has on at the moment, ie. is there a quick way to check if the AFM and injectors have already been changed?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
the standard injectors have a red brick colour to them but the nismos are either a deep red for 740's or purple i believe for 555's. the standard afm is alloy with a black plastic box on top where the wiring plug goes. the z32 afm is bigger and all black plastic. heres a pic.

the afm and injectors would have to be fitted at the same time as a remap as there are changes that need to be made to account for them, otherwise the engine will run like crap. the only mod needed is to splice the existing plug wiring for the afm and solder the z32 one on. injectors need some rubber o-rings which jez supplies in the fitting price, not sure if others do though.....dont be worried about questions, the only reason i have answers is because i've asked just as many:nod:

Reaction score
as said, i'd def think of budgeting for injectors and AFM personally....

i did have nismo 740cc's and a d-jetro sat ready and waiting before sold up.

questions give you knowledge, you won't learn without asking them! :)

Reaction score
Now I know that Jez recomends Nismo injectors, he also says they are the only ones that work properly and I do trust him.... But i dont understand why?

Can anyone shed some light??

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i think what that is, is for his pre programmed maps that he sells for s14's. because he programs them with nismos, you have to use nismos if installing the chip for the map to work. i think if you are having a custom remap then you can use whatever plug and play injectors you want.....i may be wrong, but i think thats right.

there are other injectors available - sard, deatsch werks etc. but i have heard of the deatsch werks injectors failing which is not good.....

if i was going to all the trouble of getting the job done, i'd go for the nismos (i did go for nismos)
:)

Reaction score
ahh, yeah that's probably where i've read that then!

I'll probably be going for the Nismo's too, but it's hard not to ask if they are really that much better lol

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
especially whe the others are so much cheaper!! i did look into them too.....

there are some new 740's for sale on sxoc, 300 quid.....list is over 500 now, silly money for new now.

Reaction score
Yeah they sold pretty quick!

There's some brand new Denso 800cc ones on sxoc now too.... £120 :eek:

Reaction score
yeah they are top feed, i'm geussing you need a new inlet mani and fuel rail with them then?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i believe so mate. standard manifold apparently good for up to 500 brake so beyond what most of us will ever need....