What's new

Ride height+coilovers - need info!!

Reaction score
Country
Hi, my s15 which I have had for nearly a year came with Cusco Zero 1 coilovers. I would like to establish how the ride height is set relative to standard. The cusco spec sheet says that these can drop ride height between 0 and -75 front /-65 rear. But I have no idea now what standard ride height is. I want to find out how much below standard they are currently at each end.

Anyone tell me standard heights to the wheelarch or some other point on the car?
I found some info online for distance between wheel centre and arch edge for the s15, from american cop handbook where the have laws on rideheight, but this would indicate that I am dropped -35 at the front and 0 at the rear. I believe it is dropped a lot more than this.

Can you tell when a coilover is set to 0 drop? It is a double threaded design I presume I can't just wind everything out or it will almsot come apart?

I think I have ride problems - after watching two videos on the cusco website I now think they are incorrectly adjusted - they lack shock stroke because the spring seats have been wound down but not the damper body adjustment into the lower section of the shock.

Reaction score
Country
Not sure on standard height but you might be best to whack your coilovers off and set them up again..

If you unwind the spring seat until the spring is free, move the spring to the top of the shock and then wind the seat back up so it meets the spring and it doesnt move..that should set the pre-load up nice I think.

Then you can set them all to the same height by adjusting the base of the shock (wind the sock into the base) Just pick a uniform height and put them on the car then adjust to your liking.

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the tip, was wondering whether to take them off, might clean them up as well. They are an older model with silver lower tubes and red spring seat collars, only found one image like this online, most images show much more blue anodising, and I have not been able to date them. So maybe I should check for any damage or even get the dampers dyno'd to check whether they need any service, though the only price I have found for that is £25 per shock+VAT +postage :(.

Reaction score
Country
I saw those specs for ground clearance, anyone know where its measured from?
I am about to get some 'stock crappy suspension' to try it out - I am pretty sure 8k/6k is way too hard for the car. My friend was showing me the 'natural frequency' calculations used to work out good spring rates for a particular car and usage, 8 and 6 on an s15 works out a fair bit firmer than another mates 997 GT3 RS. I don't see any need for my car to be sprung firmer for its weight than one of those! These calculations suggest the standard shocks would be good all round, and also that the front should be softer than the rear not firmer. I reckon the Nismo S-tune might be about as firm as the car needs to go.

Reaction score
Country
Anyway I am keen to measure up the standard springs, put the numbers through an online rate calculator to see if they are around 4 and 3k that my internet search came up with, and which end of the car has the firmer springs.

Reaction score
Country
5/4kg - for normal roads retaining a high degree if usability whilst being more than happy on track
6/5kg - more serious fast road and track set up

Id say yours is way to firm :D