What's new

RWD Neo VVL

Reaction score
Country
Hi everyone,

Been researching this for a couple of nights now. Just wondering what you guys think of this upgrade??

More on this upgrade,

To start off, Neo VVL is the "vtec" version of Nissan. Basically the cam profiles have two cam lobes, one denote as low cam and the other high cam. When the engine rev reaches a certain point, a solenoid will lock the rocker arm activating the high cam profile. This increases engine air flow capacity giving more power while still retaining torque in low revs with the low cam.

This sounds like a very good idea but Neo VVL never came out in RWD form. I'm not 100% sure on the source since I just found some random info on Wikipedia. The Neo VVL head is available in 4 different models.

Pulsar - SR16VE
P11 Bluebird, another two model I forgot :p - SR20VE
P12 Bluebird - SR20VE '20v'
Xtrail GT - SR20VET

All FWD except Xtrail GT is 4wd but all the above engines are transverse

Using the heads from any of these models, you can mate it to a SR20DET block and make a "frankenstein" SR20VET. Of cos FWD heads differ slightly to RWD heads so they need a couple of "modification" to make them fit into our S-chassis.

The two minor problems is the CAS and neo vvl solenoid. When the head is placed in longitudinal position, the CAS and neo vvl solenoid will be too close to the firewall. But these can be relocated and rewire to make them fit. Especially if you're using the SR20VE 20v which has a smaller solenoid compared to the sr20ve which "could" clear the firewall theoritically. And S15 coilpacks will have no problem fitting into the valve cover. Engine management wise might need something like a full stand alone to control both boost and the neo vvl engagement point. **EDIT I forgot bout the intake manifold too, it needs to be custom made, not sure if am ones like the greddy fits**

The sr20ve head has a better design than the normal SR20det that we use, cant remember all the pros off my head atm.

What you guys think??

Here are some interesting links I got:

http://www.sr20forum.com/sr20ve-sr16ve/211094-how-good-20v.html

http://www.sr20forum.com/sr20ve-sr16ve/220044-sr20vet-vs-sr20ve-head-rwd-compatibility.html

http://www.sr20forum.com/sr20ve-sr16ve/159601-regards-rwd-vvl.html

http://www.sr20forum.com/240sx/165826-neo-vvl-rwd.html

P.s: There's confirmed one S15 with such head conversion here in Australia. ANyone know the owner and mind posting some pics? Dyno video maybe? Would love to see this thing scream with both boost and neo vvl.

:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
sounds extremely interesting.... if i'd got the money, i'd certainly give it a go...

this info must REALLY piss off honda boys... cause they saying "oh, but mine's got VTEC". lol as if it's the best thing on earth. i had a honda with the rev happy Bseries lump before the S15, and it was good fun.... but boost is better. But, boosted honda's are extremely fun and make good usable power....

G

Ger Keane

why didnt nissan try a 2ltr neo vvl in the non turbo S15???
would have been very interesting!!!
im on a rant the last few days about not having much power in my Spec S!!!

Reaction score
I know the owner of the one in Aus, and its still being run in at the moment. There used to be some pics of it in the ns.com garage, but they got rid of the garage feature so no more pictures.

you will also need to lower the engine a tad in the engine bay as the VE rocker cover site higher than a standard one ;)

300rwkw at 15psi is fairly good on a run in tune...... image what it sounds like at 9000rpm :D

Reaction score
Country
Nice! What turbo is he running? I've read in the forums that this head will max out any turbo smaller than GT3040.

If this head can be utilised for max response, that would be good.

G

gunner93

Its a mystery why Nissan dont propagate the NEO VVLs like Honda did with their V-Tecs. The NEO VVL N1 are only 1000 in production and is extremely rare. In my country the SRXXVE half cuts are in high demand transplanted into B13, B14, U13 and Y11 which are plug & play. I have only seen one SR20VET going into one N13 in my country. The down side is the some VE parts are equally rare.

Here's the local boyz passion for the VET... pardon the local language, its the pictures we are keen.

http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=142861&view=next

Reaction score
Its a mystery why Nissan dont propagate the NEO VVLs like Honda did with their V-Tecs. The NEO VVL N1 are only 1000 in production and is extremely rare. In my country the SRXXVE half cuts are in high demand transplanted into B13, B14, U13 and Y11 which are plug & play. I have only seen one SR20VET going into one N13 in my country. The down side is the some VE parts are equally rare.

Here's the local boyz passion for the VET... pardon the local language, its the pictures we are keen.

http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=142861&view=next
Its no real mystery mate. It was the end of an era of sportscars that were engineered ahead of their time. Nissan were the last to bow out gracefully amidst the financial times that took the motor industry by storm. Toyota's went out first, followed by Honda. Nissan had too many sports platforms and with the advent of the FM platform, first seen thru the hugely popular 350Z, 350GT skyline and now the GT-R, it was time for the BNR's, S's and all to go.

Having said that, Nissan had already made an engine 20 years ahead of time in the SR20. and for years, its single bane was not having a variable valve timing mechanism the way the Evo's with their MIVECs and Subarus with the AVCS and lets not forget, The VVTi tee-win tar-bo from our Yotas. So the next step was to make a head for this stout end and the SR20VET came. X-Trail simply because it was the best selling passenger platform that Nissan had in years. Its simply a cruel case of cost vs. time i suppose. The cost to build these cars were already big, and the time (era) was favouring greener engines. Toyota got it right on. Toyo-Atlantic races...WRC (and then got banned)...Formula 1...and now a whole host of energy efficent cars. Nissan, you get the feeling are still trying to be out there...but in doing so they chopped a legend to make another. The bleeding best 4 cylinder engine to grace the import world. the SR20DET....Now, with VVT :)