What's new

S15 Ownership?

F

FlyingChicken

Hi! Nice to meet you all!
This is a shout out from Australia! Originally from Hong Kong.
But anyway, I've had a love affair with the S15 ever since I was in Grade 6 in 1999 and now recently I've been thinking about them seriously once again. Right now i drive a '08 Honda Civic JDM, but i really want a S15. So right now i pose the question; what is it like to maintain one? Is it as expensive as people make maintaining a turbo car to be? Is it high running costs? Petrol for example? Service every 5000km? Greatly appreciate any advice.
Cheers lads.:wave:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Service can depend on how hard you drive...

I change oil and filter every 4k miles (although many owners do every 6k). Petrol is around low 20's for combined MPG.

For some reason, it never seems as expensive to run an S15 compared to Evos, Scoobs (thirsty buggers), FDs (13B not as reliable and needs TLC), Liners (expensive all round!!) and you should find insurance is not as bad as most other popular turbo cars.

M

Matt_S

Service can depend on how hard you drive...

I change oil and filter every 4k miles (although many owners do every 6k). Petrol is around low 20's for combined MPG.
Nah, change it every 3k miles (5k Kms) or every 6 mths if you dont want ya cams and rockers to start eating themselves due to blocked spray bars :rolleyes:

Use good oil too. Depending how you drive it will depend the oil weight you use.

F

FlyingChicken

For some reason, it never seems as expensive to run an S15 compared to Evos, Scoobs (thirsty buggers), FDs (13B not as reliable and needs TLC), Liners (expensive all round!!) and you should find insurance is not as bad as most other popular turbo cars.
I quite like the sounds of that :nod:

Reaction score
This is a real help, I currently have a Is200 with 1G-FE engine i'm resisting the urge to supercharge it as I have fallen in love with the S15, and wanted to know similar things to the op regarding what to look for/out for when viewing some S15's?
I went to JAE this year and there was a couple for sale that I kept drooling over, so if this was your car I apologise :p

Thanks in advance guys

G

gunner93

This is a raw performance car, brutal especially when you start modding. The good part is the SR20DET aftermart is widely available both used and new. Perfect for weekend project. Heaps of testimony of easy power upgrades tested and proven. The fun part is its a tail happy car. A choiced weapon for world class drifters. The best part is, its easily the sexiest Jap compact sport car. Til today, never get sick of its looks. :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
This is a real help, I currently have a Is200 with 1G-FE engine i'm resisting the urge to supercharge it as I have fallen in love with the S15, and wanted to know similar things to the op regarding what to look for/out for when viewing some S15's?
I went to JAE this year and there was a couple for sale that I kept drooling over, so if this was your car I apologise :p

Thanks in advance guys
One of those was probably Matt_S's you saw, was it the Pewter (Silver) on the D:MON stand ? Nice car and already modded for 350+ BHP :cool:

Reaction score
I quite like the sounds of that :nod:
Girlfriend has an Evo6 Tuned barely get 18mpg out of it:eek:,the S15 is much better mpg and it has more mods on it:thumbs:, still not as quick tho:mad:damn Evo's.

Reaction score
Girlfriend has an Evo6 Tuned barely get 18mpg out of it:eek:,the S15 is much better mpg and it has more mods on it:thumbs:, still not as quick tho:mad:damn Evo's.
Haha you need to put some more £ under the bonnet then ;), I got friends running evo 6 and 7 both just under 400horses damn quick :p.

Ahh think it may have been Matt_S's that I saw, it was litteraly the other side of the hedge from the Lexus/Toyota stand. Hows tax/insurance on the S15 being as i'm 22?